The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the novella, I highlighted the important parts in red if you want the "short and sweet", the rest is just back story and details of what I have already done. ~ Kat

Sigh...When will I ever learn NOT to go to the auction barn with money in my pocket. :doh::doh:

Well, I ended up making a pity buy. There was this little Nubian buckling, maybe 3 or 4 months old. Thin with a pot belly, hunched up with his head hanging down, wet cough, every now and then a little liquidy gurgle as he breathed, butt covered with poo and crusty eyes. :sick: But he caught my heart with his cute little face...he just seemed to be whispering "take me home, please?". :mecry: I paid $22.50 for him. :eek:

And of course he needed company in quarantine, so I also picked up a little doeling. I'm thinking she may be Boer/Nubian cross. I figured since she came from the same sale pen, she was already exposed to whatever he has anyway. However, she is a very healthy, stout little girl. I'm watching her closely and supplementing her with probios, B-Complex and RedCell to help keep her healthy. I will start treatment at the first signs of any issues developing.

So I figure the little buckling needs antibiotics for the respiratory issue, Bo-Se, B-Complex, probiotics, RedCell, treated for cocci and wormed, just for starters. :eek::eek: That's a lot of meds for one little bitty goat to have pumped into him all at the same time. How much is too much, or is it OK to just give it all to him at the same time?

My main concern is giving both Tylan and Sulmet. It's been so long since I've had a major illness to treat that I can't remember for sure, but I keep thinking that mixing antibiotics is a no-no. :worried:

So, thinking the respiratory issue was the most critical to get under control, I started him on a course of Tylan 200. I also started him on B-Complex, Probios and RedCell. I got him cleaned up as much as I could without stressing him more. It's been 2 days, he is steadily improving and is now alert and eating like a little horse.

I haven't wormed or treated for cocci yet, but his little pot belly and poo-ey butt just screams for it. Should I start the Sulmet and worm him now, too? And if I should worm, should I give both an ivermectin for general worms and Safeguard for tapes?

Oh yeah, as a reward for reading all my blathering, I offer pictures: :thankU:

A couple of Mister.
Fawn Dog breed Terrestrial animal Snout Livestock

Sheep Sheep Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass

And his companion, Mischief!
Vertebrate Plant Mammal Grass Terrestrial animal

Attachments

·
Administrator
85,665 Posts
What are their temps? the respiratory should be first yes, then, in the meantime,
I would get fecal done on them, that way, you will know if it is worms, cocci or both to know just how to treat them.
If it comes back positive for something, you can try to use something that can be safely used at the same time,as the antibiotic, but be absolutely sure first,
if not, you will have to wait, until the respiratory issue is finished.

Bo-Se, B-Complex, probiotics, RedCell are OK to give. Bo-se of course one time.
Are they anemic, if so, you have to find the cause and treat that for the RedCell to do any good.

Cute goats, I hope you can get them in good health soon, bless you for taking them in.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Beautiful goats! I know all about the pity buying at the sale barn, too. Good on you for coming to their rescue. :)

Question: Depending on what the fecal shows, would it be better to use a wormer like Zimectrin Gold that does both regular worms and tapes than to dose the little guy 2 separate times with Ivomec and Safeguard?

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!

Mischief, the doeling, is showing no signs of illness at all. Temp holding steady around 102.5 - 103, bright eyes, healthy weight, normal all the way. I just dosed her with Probios, B-Complex and RedCell as a little booster to help her stay healthy after the stress of the sale and a new home as companion to a sick baby.

Misters temp was 104.9 when we got home from the sale. I immediately started him on Tylan 200, he was at 103 the next morning and has been between 103 - 103.8 morning and night for the last 2 days.

He is steadily improving, so I think I will continue as we are until the antibiotics have run their course and have a fecal run while waiting.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
First of, Mischeif is the cutest little goat ever! She looks like a sweetheart... just want to cuddle her:).

Now being serious, I agree with everything else said. Fecal would great, that way you know what to treat for and check with the vet on antibiotics. Correct me if I'm wrong, but different antibiotics treay gram positive and gram negative bacterias right? And positive and negative antibiotics are what should not be mixed correct? The positive I *think* cancels out the negative treating antibiotic.

Get the fecal done, treat the respiratory infection and keep doing what your doing.

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
both are dolls...

Good job on attacking that puenomia : )

for his worm issue..I would choose Valbazen..it covers a large worm base including tape..
sulmet or Dimthox for cocci.. IMO: I would not wait for fecal...he looks like he needs worming and with the anemia its warrented...not that you should not have a fecal done..but do start treatment ASAP.

you can also mix 50/50 ACV and water and dose him 10-15 cc daily to help with the anemia..

best wishes

·
Administrator
85,665 Posts
It may or may not be cocci or worms or could be both, we won't know until they are tested.
Getting a fecal doesn't take long to do, about a day or so. It is best to know what to treat.
Antibiotics are being used now, which may not be good to mix with other meds, unless directed by a vet.
After the results come in from the fecal, you can ask, what is safe to give with that antibiotic.

You didn't mention if they were anemic or not? Check the lower membrane color of the inner lid.

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mischief has been completely healthy from day one. Mister is the only one sick. Though I'm happy to say, he is well on the road to recovery already with just 4 days of treatment. His poo's are normal, he is no longer gurgling when he breathes and only very rarely coughs. A couple more days of Tylan and even that should be gone. He is such a sweet little guy, he just goes to sleep when I scratch around his ears...just leans in and closes his eyes and sighs! :love:

I don't think his jaws have stopped chewing since we got home...the poor little guy is just ravenous. They are both on free access grass mix hay, get a couple of flakes of alfalfa hay spread out over 3 feedings a day, and have started going outside to browse for a couple hours since it's been up into the 60's the last 2 days. He is already putting on a little weight, I can feel his skeleton less and less each day.

Yes, he is somewhat anemic, his eyelids are not white but they are fairly pale. Hubby is going to borrow one of the spare microscopes from school and I'm going to attempt my own fecals. There is a really good article about how to do it on FiasCo Farm and I'm pretty confident in my "science-y" ability, so it should be interesting. :D

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. :thankU:

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
keep up the good work...;)

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
test for cae,cl, and johnes. this is a biosecurity scan at waddl.
I wasn't really concerned about testing because I was only planning on a couple does for milk, meat and brush clearing and maybe my own buck so I didn't have to ship out for breeding. Both my kinders came from a tested herd, just needed to find a clean buck to buy.

:rolleyes: However, I wasn't counting on these little beasts to be so darn cute and engaging. Now that I am acquiring more potato chips...I mean, goats...I have been looking into the tests. I will be testing everybody for Cae and CL, but only two of my 5 are old enough for Johnes testing (according to http://www.johnes.org/goats/diagnosis.html), and they are the only two that came from a private sale and not the auction barn.

Oh yeah, surprisingly enough, there are no signs of lice or any other little bloodsucking uglies. :thumbup:

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mischief has remained completely healthy all along, and Mister is well on his way to full recovery.

We just finished our course of Tylan, no more cough or gurgle when breathing. :cool:

His coat is already getting softer and is now laying down nicely instead of standing straight up all scraggly. He's actually filling in some of the worst muscle wasting on his hips, ribs and shoulders as well. :wahoo:

His poo's are normal and healthy looking, he's eating like a horse and his belly regularly rumbles with activity like everybody else. We did have a bit of clumping in both of them for an afternoon, but that was because I started them on free choice alfalfa pellets and they went a bit overboard with the first offering...little piggies!! :rolleyes:

I'm still giving both of them probios and b-complex as a booster until I get fecals done and kill off whichever worms they are inevitably carrying. Hubby brought home the microscope from school and my float solution will be ready in the morning, so I'll collect berries tomorrow and give fecal testing a shot.

And again, as a reward for listening to me yammer on, I offer some more pictures!! :D

Attachments

·
Administrator
85,665 Posts
Nice looking goaties. :)

Good job, :cool:keep up the good work, glad they are improving.

Whenever the poo turns to clumps, back off a bit on the pellets ect, do it gradually, it will cause scouring if you free choice it, before their systems are ready.
You don't want scouring and it sounds like it is on the edge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts