How many of you don't have LGD protection?

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by goatheaven, Jun 8, 2009.

1. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    We basically have had Great Pyrenees livestock dogs almost the whole time we have had goats except for the first two months. Our last Great Pyr we have is sick and aging and we have to think about what next. We tried adding a new LGD puppy last March and it did not work out. I have considered just not replacing her when the time comes but am afraid of what might happen to the goats. We don't breed anymore just have retired and pet goats left. How many of you don't have protection and have been fine? I don't think we have coyotes or anything. I think our biggest threat is loose dogs but we are double fenced. I alos have considered looking at Great Pyr rescue as they have a livestock guardian program.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't have LGD or even a dog big enough to be a "protector"
    My goats are securely penned in with galvanized goat panels but I'm sure if something wanted them bad enough I would hear the commotion as they are only about 150 feet from my back door.....thats when Smith and Wesson or Remington would do the protecting.

O and I do have coyote, black bears and now thanks to the game commission...mountain lion as predators.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I don't have LGD's...however I have three large dogs outside that roam free and will bark at and chase off pretty much anything that comes close.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I don't, I do have 3 other dogs but they don't really do anything....

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I do not. Just a pug and another little shepherd mix. And they are indoors at night. And the Pug...24/7

6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We've never had an LGD other than just our own pets who normally bark if something isn't right-but we've never had any issues with predators.

7. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the input. We hope our Deliliah has a little more time with us but she has an autoimmune disorder that is bringing her way down. The new Great Pyr puppy didn't work out last March and we are skeptical about trying another. Deliliah was 6 months old when we got her and she was and still is a dream LGD. She immediately protected the goats with no issues and has been excellent ever since. I don't want to go through another puppy nightmare like last March. There is a livestock guardian Great Pyr rescue if we do decide to keep protection, but it may take a while to get an adopted Pyr.

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  9. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    We have a dog that always stays tied up…and a goose who is quite a protector! We have coyotes around here who have as far as up to our property, but that was when one dog died and before we got another. So as long as we have a dog (tied up or not), we’re fine.

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Nope......no LGD here....just two little terriers that think they are LGD's, of course that is when they're within the safe walls of the house:greengrin: ! I lock my goats up at night, that is when we have coyotes coming up near......I have never seen one up close to the barns during the day, not to say is couldn't happen..... we have good fencing, although my sheep farmer neighbor told me if they want my goats bad enough the fence won't stop them.

11. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I have a LGD but we have coyote problems here... With our LGD I have never seen or worried about any kind of threat getting my goats.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    We do not have LGD - however, I do have 2 mastiffs and an OLD rott. However, these dogs are never left in with the goats and if anything only during the day are they in a pen across the drive from the goats and the rott running loose - but that is only during the day - at night all the dogs are in our bedroom. (Nothing like 350# of dogs in the bedroom)

Now the thing is - I have 10 foot game fencing supported by oil drilling pipes. We have coyotes (big time) and about 4-6 weeks ago had a cougar out back. However, we have never lost a goat or kid to predators. And, the babies tend to sneak out of the fence to the green grass - but never to a predetor (one to the dogs - but I really think it was an accident of them playing).

13. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    No LGD here either, although we have 2 labs that let us know if there is something around. Have you ever thought of getting a mini-donkey or llama? We have people in our area with sheep and they were having coyote issues...the llama brought their lamb mortality rate to almost zero.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    NOPE Nothing. I did see a Coyote in my pen about 50 feet from my barn and I about had a heart attack. My lab took off after him and chased him away and I have never seen another one. I have so thought about a dog or a Llama. They are GREAT also, but that is just another mouth to feed when we do not have problems. I guess I am really lucky because my bucks jump the fence and get out of our pastures all the time and eat the pastures around us. If they hear something different they just jump back in. That is what is nice about here, it is a free range area. My boys got out once a few years ago and were up at a ladies house and they were eating her flowers. She called the police and they told her that if she does not want her flowers eaten then she needs to fence them off. Here in CO you fence animals out not in.

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We've had LGDs ever since we've had goats, we started out with a 3 year old and a pup and now we have 3 GP's as well as an old German Shepherd and a Blue Heeler. We have really really bad coyote problems though, so I would never be without one.

16. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    We do not have LGDs. Our larger dogs, Tanner, Casey, and Emma are very good at alerting us to anything strange. Their pen is next to the goat's pen outside, so they can see everything coming up from the back. The goats stay in the barn at night,(their choice not closed in) and we have 6 ft. fencing panels. I will always use 5-6 ft. fencing, because my greatest fear is an attack from loose dogs. We have had two bad attacks here in our state. In both not just one goat was taken down, but several, and in one the does were pregnant at the time. This Winter I saw tracks from a loose dog (believe it came at night) near our fencing, so I am so glad I insisted on high fencing.

17. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Liz and I must be in the same neck of the woods..same predators! Especially dog packs. We have never had a guard dog..or any other dog actually. We have a couple of solar poward motion detector lights at the gates which really scare the coyotes...but we have had pretty good luck with the Nite Guard flashing lights. We also have Guinea Hens which are pretty good at raising an alarm whenever something is creeping around.
    I agree with Liz, though. So far our best deterrent has been our rifles and good fencing.

18. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    We have coyotes, mountain lions and bears. My Great Pyrs are worth their weight in gold. I have no worries while they are on duty. I put them out with the goats when they were just 8 weeks old. At night I would put them in a kennel in the barn with the goats. I think it was harder on me than them.

19. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    We have bears, coyotes and mountain lions. I wouldn't be without my Pyrs. I'm sorry your attempt at getting another one didn't work out. Both times I got a new Pyr I put them in with the goats immediately....not in the house.....I put them in a large dog kennel in the goat pen at night. I had to securely fasten the kennel because, and this will come as no great surprise, the goats loved to jump on top of the kennel. Both dogs bonded with the goats and guard them diligently. I love the Pyrs because they are also lovable, gentle family dogs.

20. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    Not me. We have no climb horse fence, though, so it would be tough for predators to get in. I do have smaller dogs that can go in the backyard around the goat pens at night, but I don't think they do much guarding work.

I wouldn't mind a LGD as we have lots of poultry, too, but I don't really want to feed a huge dog. Wish there was a small LGD breed.