The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my nannies gave birth to triplets. One set is doing great, but the others are not doing too well. The runt isn't getting enough milk. I am feeding it whole cows milk. How much should I be giving it? Today it has only had 8 oz.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Are they full size or miniature goats? I have full size goats and usually feed bottle babies of that age 4-5 12 oz bottles per day, I gradually work up to 16 oz, then drop a feeding and work up to 20 oz each feeding 3 x a day. For a miniature you would probably feed half that, or possibly less. Does he seem full? Feel his belly and if he feels full then he is getting enough, if he feels empty give him more.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I think the formula is
weight x 16 (for ounces) x 10% = amount to give them per day, and then divide that into 4 feedings. Someone more experienced will probably get on here.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
best way to figure how much he should get is to weigh him...multiply that by 16 to get his weight in oz's...then multiply that by 10% to see how much per day he needs, then divide that into 4-5 feedings...keep watch on his tummy..you want a flat but firm belly..not pooching way out or sunken in...he should be active alert and pooping regually..

ex: if he weighs 4 pounds
4x16=64 oz
64x10%=6.4 oz of milk per day....
6.4 divided into four feedings...=1.6 oz per bottle

this is +/- a tiny bit based on how his tummy looks ..some need a tiny bit more..some a bit less..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts