How many Pasturize their milk.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Lawdog, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Lawdog

Lawdog New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Texas
    Without getting into a political battle, I am curious how many feel the need to pasturize and why and how many drink unpasturized milk.

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    We do not pasteurize for our families consumption, don't feel the need too as long as the milk is handled properly and cooled quickly in icewater. I raise on CAE prevention though so I do pasteurize the milk that I feed to the goat kids.

3. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    If I use the milk for myself, I don't pasteurize.

I do pasteurize milk for the nubian kids.

4. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    We don't pasturize for ourselves.

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    The whole reason we got goats was for raw milk. So no, we do not pasteurize for our own consumption.

6. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    I will drink mine Raw. I'm going to heat treat colostrum and pasteurize kid milk. My daughter has a weak immune system so I will pasteurize her milk.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Here is an article about how pasturized milk is actually not that good for you: http://www.karlloren.com/aajonus/p15.htm

I read in a magazine that back a couple years ago when there was the big e coli stink going around, there was a farmer, whose raw milk tested positive for e coli. He did his own study, and took both raw and pasturized milk and put e coli in it. He let the milk set and two weeks later when he tested the milk again, the raw milk had no e coli in it whatsoever, while the pasturized milk had increased in e coli. The raw milk has natural enzymes that take all the bad stuff out. Raw milk also has a lot of extra nutrients that pasturization kills.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I read the same thing Sarah, pretty cool. I also agree that pasturized milk is worse for you than raw milk. I would think if you handle the mik correctly that it would actually be a good thing for your daughter.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    We don't pasturize our goats milk either.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't do a thing to my girls milk except strain it and qwik cool it. Never had an issue yet. :lol:

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    We pasturize our milk. Mainly because we have people that get it from us and we pasturize the kids milk.

12. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    We drink the milk raw, but I pasturize kid milk as a CAE/CL prevention.
    My herd is Neg.and I want to keep it that way.

13. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i pasturize the milk & heat treat the colostrum while i am feeding it to the kids as i raise all my kids on C.A.E. prevention. once the kids are weened i do not pasturize it. i also have some milk customers that want it raw so i save that out for them. like said before as long as you handle it properly & cool it fast you have no need to pasturize it for your own us.

14. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We pasteurize all goats milk and colostrom for the kids. But, we drink it raw. It is strained and put immediately in the fridge. I think the faster it gets cooled off the better it tastes. But for the last year or two we've been drinking cows milk since we have a Jersey heifer. We have also been using some cows milk to feed the goats. I know some people are totally against Pasteurizing milk-but to me i'd rather prevent CAE from occuring. Although Pasteurization isn't the only way to prevent CAE from happening.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i drink my milk raw, but i heat treat colostrum and pasturize milk for kids. I would prefere not to as long as my does test negative for CAE, but for show people want kids raised on CAE prevention. But i have aklways wondered, along with killing any bad bacteria in the milk what does pasturizing do to the good stuff as well? In my experience kids raised o raw milk grow better.
    beth

16. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    We drink raw but pasteurize for the kids.

17. JamieRuth

JamieRuth New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Bloomfield, KY
    We drink it raw because of the all the good nutrients in it. We have been without it for a few weeks since the one goat that was in milk dried up. I can't wait to have it again although we are enjoying not having to milk twice a day. :lol:

18. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    I would never consider pasteurizing the milk that we drink. I feel that if it is properly handled, there is no reason to take the time to do it. It is actually healthier if you don't.

So far I have dam raised all of my kids, but now that I am starting to raise Nubians I am pretty sure I am going to pasteurize the milk for my babies. I haven't had my herd tested yet though, and if they all test negative I may just feed raw milk. I haven't made any decisions so far.

19. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    We drink ours raw too.

20. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri

Yes it does kill good bacteria as well. I read an article on it once... (but not in the computer, had a paper on it but can't find it...)

I don't pasturize the milk for us or the kids. I feed them milk from neg. does and I think that is enough. I will be testing for CAE yearly so that I am always positive on what my herd's status is.