How many years can a Nigi kid?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sundari, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    How old can a Nigi be and still (safely) get pregnant? I may possibly buy a 4-year-old doe from my breeder, since the batch of babies (born to a different doe) only included one girl, and I wanted two.

Sorry for the elementary question, but I couldn't find the answer in my Storey's book or on Wikipedia! :)

Thanks,
    Sundari

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    At 4 years old if she has kidded before, she has a good , safe, 5 or 6 years left to freshen. Some breeders will go longer than that but as they age (well, with ANY female) the chances for problems increase. It is really all in how the doe is cared for as well as how healthy she is.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    My old angora was 10 when she died last year, she was pregnant with trips, but didnt die because of the pregnancy. She raised my two best kids the year before that at 9.

My british alpine girl is 10 now and I have a feeling she is pregnant.

In my friend's herds I know of:

An angora doe who kidded last year, raised twins at 17 yrs old
    A golden guernsey doe who is 16 and due in June, kidded twins no problems last year
    An angora doe who died last year at 16 but raised her twins to 3 mths old first

I think the best thing you can do is buy them between 4 and 6 yrs old, expecially if you are a beginner. They know how to do it by then, they are what I call 'push button' goats, they just get on with the job, you sleep easy at night and you easily get at least five more kiddings out of them.

4. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Thanks so much - that's really helpful. I really like this 4-year-old doe and would be love to bring her home.

-Sundari

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Also... look at it this way....as with any animal ...love.. :love: ..and taking proper care of them...with feeding ...worming....vaccines....trimming and not over breeding ...ect....your beautiful pet/animals... will last a really long time..accidents can happen... but with normal care ... :wink: :greengrin: