The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased alfalfa pellets to help put weight on my doe. She is a 4 yrs old purebred nubian, raising triplets and still in milk (milks heavy). I was giving her up to 10 cups of umbarger dairy feed a day plus a cup of beet pulp mixed with BOSS. Too much molasses I think - she wasn't finishing it all and started getting clumpy poop so we've back off to 8 cups.

I was told to supplement her with alfalfa pellets as well and she has good quality free choice alfalfa/clover hay, baking soda, minerals & clean water. How much alfalfa pellets should I give her?

Also - I keep hearing great things about kelp but have been unable to find it local. I finally did, but can only get it in 50# bags. The directions I found said to feed 1/2 an ounce per day to goat and it would take me FOREVER to use 50 pounds as I only have one doe, one buck, an 8 wk old wether and 2 8 wk old doelings. Anyone live around Indiana that would want to go in with me? I can get the 50# bag for around $40. Otherwise I'm just going to buy the 2 pound bag off amazon for $20 with free shipping. :shrug:

·
Registered
145 Posts
If i was you i would get the big bag even if its 50 pounds you'll probably use it sooner thanks you think :) ...i can't find anything where i am either

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Kelp has a shelf life of about 3 years. It will keep. I feed it free choice same as minerals. Sometimes they use more then other times.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh and what brand of alfalfa pellets did you get? I just got a bag to mix into my feed and my girls will pick out everything else and leave the alfalfa pellets :(

....and I meant than not thanks before lol autocorrect :)

·
14,615 Posts
Ive never fed kelp but it can be found at many grocery stores that sell in bulk, so you can buy as much or little as needed.;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to check the brand name - I got the alfalfa pellets from my local feed store, probably generic. I'll have to look into the grocery store thing for my kelp. I live in between Bloomington, Terre Haute and Indianaplis, Indiana - so surely to goodness I can find it somewhere close

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found Kelp at the Health Food/Organic Store in Bloomington! Thank God for college towns ;)

The alfalfa pellets I bought are Alfagreen supreme and have an illustration of a horse on them. My doe seems to love them. We mixed a cup with her grain and then my husband put some out free choice as well. We'll see tonight how much she's eaten while I'm at work.

I'm going tonight to get the kelp and I'm going to look for copper sulfate because I think she's low on copper. Man... this stuff never ends! :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts