How much chow do you feed your pygmies?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by TNP, Oct 2, 2009.

1. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Right now I'm feeding them 16% sweet goat chow, 1/2 cup each, once a day. They get orchard grass hay all day and night. They're 3 months old. Do I need to increase the chow as they get older, or is 1/2 cup all they need? They are doelings. They will not be bred, and they will not be used for milk, just pets.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    During the major growth phase....up to a year old, mine get 1/2 cup twice a day and all the hay/browse they want. Then at 1 tear I back off to 1/2 cup once a day.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would do as Liz recommends. Once they reach a year those little ones just start packing on the weight, which isnt healthy, but while really growing they need it so no you dont have to up it, you will want to back off once they mature

4. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Ok, thanks! I'll increase it to 1 cup a day then, and go back to 1/2 cup when they're a year old. :)

5. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    If I increase it to 1 cup each, is it ok to feed it all at once, or does it have to be split up into 2 feedings? I've been getting them used to getting the chow at night only, because once I let them out to browse, I want to use the chow as an incentive to turn in for the night.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Don't know if it matters, but I split mine into 2x's a day........just what I started and now that's what they expect. :)

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    believe me if you feed them in the morning they still will be clamming for it at night

they probably can handle that much at once though I dont tend to since i do feed twice a day

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I feed them in the AM, 1/4 a cup. And the PM, 1/4. ;) All ages and sizes. I decrease it for preggy girls. ;) And hay 24/7.

9. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Speaking of hay, I feed hay 24/7, and my girls are being awfully picky. They refuse to eat any of the stalky parts. I tried to make them eat it before they get new, but they'll scream all day long for the "good" stuff when they get down to the stalky part, and OMG Cheyenne has a voice you can hear all over the neighborhood when she's not happy, so eventually I give in. I don't like all this hay waste.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine won't touch stemmy hay either, especially once it's been stripped....I use that for bedding and give them fresh.....if it doesn't look appetizing to me I don't expect them to either :wink:

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I do the same as Liz.......my boys love picking through the stemmy hay to get the good stuff, but will not touch the stems........it goes to the floor for extra bedding or out to the chicken coop floor.

12. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    When I was first researching goats, I read on a breeder's site that you should not refill until they eat the stems, because the stems are good roughage for them. :?

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    My almost five-year old dry girls get 1/2 cup grain in the morning and free-choice hay. I refill hay feeders morning and night and mid-afternoon if necessary, usually it isn't.

Our girls refuse to eat the stemmy part too. So it goes for bedding. If there is only a little stemmy hay left I just refill the feeder without removing it. Sometimes when I come back out, it will be mostly gone but for the most part, no goat will touch it unless they are really hungry.

14. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We feed them only once a day and they do just fine but 2x a day is better.

15. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

My 2 currently get 1 cup of alfalfa pellets, 1 cup of Goat sweet grain each daily. Plus right now lots of grass hay, but I'm buying more hay in the next few weeks, some great alfalfa mix hay.

16. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    The newbie has another question :oops: I give my three each a half cup in the morning and half cup in the evening they are 9, 8 and 6 months. They get hay morning and night but is it ok to let them out into the pasture during the day to browse while I'm at work? I have been letting them out when it is nice weather. The other thing is my kids tossed the pumpkins in there will these make them sick if I let them out? They have their pen off of their barn that is about 100 ft. long and about 50 ft. wide at the widest but is shaped like a wedge so the narrowest near the barn is about 25 ft. Thanks!

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    of course you can let your goats out to pasture whenever you want.

As to the pumpkins -- the only thing with that is eating to much of the pumpkins can give them the runs. But chances are they will turn their noses up at the pumpkins since it is somethign new and they are to large for them to eat. Now the insides they love!

18. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    They did manage to get the pumpkins open however I think it took them all day to put the cracks in them lol! I got home to find them each rolling a pumpkin around with their horns and nibbling here and there. Later in the evening the two bull calfs beat them to the finish by stepping on them and devouring the insides.........so I don't think I need to worry much more! We gave the goats a few corn shocks in their pen and they nibbled on those. Now I am noticing they arent drinking as much and I have been giving warm water in the morning, maybe I should make it steamy????

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What I do when I want mine to drink more is to either make them warm molasses water or even add the knock off gatorade to their buckets, mine really like the fruit punch flavor.

20. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I am going to scrub the water bucket out and then try the gatorade, they arent drinking the steamy water either and they havent been eating much hay but maybe because they have been out in the meadow during the day???