The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My antisocial
Doe gave birth several hours ago (unobserved, but I found her with twins that had clearly been recently delivered and she was cleaning one. The second smaller doe was under the hay feeder near the mom. I confined all to a stall and she has been cleaning both. The bigger doe I heave witnessed latch (mom has milk. No milk plug). The smaller one I saw try, but didn’t succeed. I gave mom a little space, as she was pacing because of me hovering so close. I keep checking, but I’ve still not seen the little one latch. I managed to cajole the mom enough (with sweet feed!) to let me in close. I held the baby up and put the teat in her mouth. Nothing. No headbutt, no suck. She seems a little less active than her sister, but standing well. I milked about an ounce off mom and am sitting here syringe feeding the baby. I’ve gotten about 10ml in. How much should I try for? She’s now comfy and asleep in my lap! She seemed to only handle about 1/2-1ml at a time or it would dribble out.
THANKS!

ETA: mouth is toasty warm. After 10ml, I let her rest for a few minutes, then held her up to mom. Got one headbump. She took another 5cc with a little more interest in the syringe. Still waiting for nursing...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. I’ve not weighed her yet. My only scale to go that small is in my house, and I didn’t want to take her from mom. She’s a Nigerian dwarf and definitely smaller than average (I’m new this year to having goat babies, but I had 8 born a month ago!). She’s the littlest so far. Since the 10cc, she’s been quite perky. Up and about even as her sister and mom have gone to sleep. Right now she’s staring at me and trying to climb into my lap!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You really want to get that whole ounce into her.
I've gotten about 45ml in her so far. I did see her poke around a little and latch twice, with just a little sucking (few seconds), but then let go.

Am I just so use to older babies that these two seem less enthusiastic than I'm expecting?

The babies weigh 3#4oz and 3#10oz, by the way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The weight isn't that bad. Have they selenium and extra E yet?
Yes, both babies have had sel/vit E gel and B12 gel. I gave mom the Sel/E, too.

I am going to just sit with the babies til I see them both eat today...I've seen the little one looking some for the teat so far this morning. Fingers crossed she stays determined! Both were up and walking around this morning when I checked. I'm hoping they had just eaten, but they definitely look better than yesterday.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so the larger one is showing the real interest in nursing. Looks for the teat, headbutts, latches and stays on and I can hear swallowing. I have yet to see the little one even attempt to latch today. They were up when I went out this morning, so maybe she ate before? I sat with them for an hour, but they went to sleep. I came back about 45 minutes later and both were up again. Attempts at putting her to the teat failed miserably. I even put the teat in her mouth, but it just agitated her. She seems happy, not hungry. I syringe fed her just 10ml or so and she was fighting me (I put the tip in the side of her mouth. Just a little drip at a time or it comes right out). She didn’t seem interested. I am so perplexed as to what to do. Of course I’ll bottle feed if needed, but the mom is being good, has good milk, and is interested in her baby. The baby doesn’t seem weak (yet). Any advice??

·
Administrator
85,658 Posts
How does her belly feel?
Does it feel full, empty?
Compare to sibling.

When you open the kids mouth over the teat, squirt a little bit of mama's milk into her mouth, release her, tickle tailhead.
Very gently guide to teat, just point her in the right direction, move her very gently up to the teat area.
Don't force. As they will fight.
If you have to hold the teat towards the kid, do so from behind the udder, so the kid doesn't see your fingers, holding the teat up towards babies mouth.
So it is open mouth over teat, squirt a little milk in mouth, release kid, tickle tailhead.
Keep doing so until the kid latches on.
You may have to go out every 2 hours to do this.
I also find with some, making a loud sucking noise helps too.
Tie up mom snug and one back leg, the side you will be working from if she will not hold still.

The kid may be nursing, when you are not watching.

Not crying out and laying down content, may mean, she is getting enough. But yet, you are feeding by syringe too.

What I do is, put my index finger in the mouth mimicking a teat.
I will slightly move it in and out, still leaving my finger in the mouth, to stimulate the kid.
I sit on a low step stool, so I am down to their level.
I am right handed so, I use my left hand, index finger, straddle my whole hand over the kids head with finger inserted.
Do not suffocate the kids nose.
Insert the syringe head to the back corner of the mouth.

Hold the kid into a standing position, and it's bum is to where the kid cannot back up, I block the kid with my legs.

If the kid coughs at all, stop until the kid stops coughing.
You want that suck reflex.
When you get that, put her on mama and do as I suggested above.
With time, she will catch on.

Dribbling out of the mouth happens when they do not have the suck reflex. Or not swallowing, not stimulated. Bo-se, vit B will help.
Glad you gave some.

Also check the inside of the mouth for cleft pallet in case.

Sorry for the book, but it is hard to explain without detail. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have cut and pasted this awesome info to my “goat gold” files!!

I’m happy to report that FINALLY as I hovered like a crazy mom for hours, the little squirt jumped up from sleep, cried out, ran to mom, and latched! She actively nursed briefly, took a break, and went back for more. I think the stinker was enjoying making me worry!

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, though. That info will come in handy for another baby, I’m sure! In retrospect, her belly felt about like sibs’, so I bet she’s been nursing all along, hence why she wasn’t interested in my syringe. I was doing some of what you advised on guiding her to the teat, but will definitely add those techniques as well.
Again, thank you, as always, for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts