The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make sure I'm not 'starving' my girls.... because they swear I am.

I feed a mix of 2 parts "sweet feed" (16%protein, 3% fat, 8%fiber, etc), 2 parts Alfalfa pellets, 1 part BOSS.

One Nubian I'm drying up is 125lbs. I feed her about 1.5-2lbs per day.

One Mini-Nubian, 70lbs, I'd like to breed this year. 1lb per day.

One Alpine is 55lbs I'm trying to gain weight (to 70lbs) for her to breed late this year. I feed her 1lb per day.

One Kiko is a kid. 30lbs. I feed her 1/2lb per day.

All fed in the morning and they all are very routine about it. Each one comes by name, is tied up to her post, then any medications/wormers, then they're all fed. They all wait until everybody is finished eating, which is usually about the same time. Sometimes one will finish extra fast so I'm not sure if I should give more at that moment.

They have free choice hay, minerals, baking soda and switchgrass/ragweed about knee/waist high to eat on all day. (too tall I know)

Then about mid day they'll start if they have any wind of us: "MEEEEHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" over and over again. But when I'm down there, they're all calm and quiet. Eating grass or trying to see if I have anything in my hand.

Are they just complaining or should I be feeding more? Should I feed the ones who will go into heat more than normal? How much would you feed per day with free choice hay and pasture?

Thanks for any help/encouragement. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Unless they are skinny and need to gain weight, it sounds like you are doing just fine. What kind of hay?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Is it the Nubian's that start calling first? My Nubians are crazy vocal and I'm thinking about not breeding any more unless I find a quiet one. What you described sounds perfectly fine and they actually sound a little spoiled :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hay is bermuda/orchardgrass/crabgrass mix. It's the only hay they will eat. :eek: I haven't tried alfalfa hay but I hear there is a lot of waste and it's really expensive here. Not worth it to me.

It IS the Full-Size Nubian who calls first. Our Mini is really quiet. She'll talk sometimes, but not very much or very loud. I'm hoping her kids are as well behaved as her. The issue is our Full size getting the others going. :mad:

Ok well I'm glad to know we're doing right. :cool:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Mine talk every time they see me, the kids, hubby, neighbors, the vehicles, people on bikes on the road in front of my house, anything moving at all, LOL. I call them by name, and they each answer afterwards.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I don't mind the talking (yelling) at me, the husband is not real impressed, I just tell him, come on, just laugh about it, its cute! I go out and talk back, I'm coming sweetheart, they love me.... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts