The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is very market dependant , but I'm curious ! Let me know the breed , the sex , registered or not , disbudded or not , and the cost !

I'm trying to decide what a fair price point is to sell my lamancha Nubian kids. One female , two males, will be disbudded vaccinated and my herd is 2020 tested disease free.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was told by my mentor never to start at less than $100 for dairy doelings, but that’s about all our market will support. One year I had a buyer for all of our kids at 2wks - 4wks (they wanted to bottle feed). I think I sold them for $25 each. We would be getting all the milk to sell for an extra 8 weeks, and that was a great trade for me. (We had 5 does at the time) We usually let the moms raise them until they are ready to wean.

mostly Nubian, we had one Saanen Nubian cross. I’ve already sold 2 kids that are due at the end of July, provided we get doelings(!) for $100 each and they plan to pick them up at 2 wks. They also WANT to bottle feed. We have 2 Nubian does, and are expecting at least 5 kids. Last time the vet told us there were twins in there we got quads, so I’m ready for anything. :haha:

For bucks I usually start at $80 and end up selling some for $50, depending on the year. If we still have kids at 12 weeks we drop the price.

Our kids are usually disbudded.

Can’t wait to see what everyone else gets!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Boer & Boer cross kids at 12-14 weeks of age, no papers, horned, weaning weights around 50-60 lbs: prices begin at $2.50 per pound live weight (so $125 and up) then the kids that are breeding quality are $225 each. I occasionally offer ABGA registered kids in the $250-$300 range depending on the quality of the kid crop that year. Located in Connecticut, focused on the meat market. I don't sell for pets.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I read a story once about a lady who raised boer goats and wanted every 4H kid to have a quality goat to show so put a low sale tag on them..(I'm thinking $50 or something..been a while since I read her story)
She didn't sale a one!! At a local 4H meeting she asked the kids why they didn't want her goats. She wanted to see what they were looking for. What was wrong with hers. They all told her they were too cheap so figured they weren't any good. Next season she upped her price significantly and sold everyone.
Moral..sale for what they are worth in your eyes.
I sell reg or unregistered the same. Papers or not, They are nice goats. Generally I get 300-350 for does and 200 to 250 for bucks. I have sold for less when they purchased more than one or if a bucks been here a bit long and I find a wonderful home for them...so I'm not firm on my price if the need arises. We only had two bucks this season and one person bought both. I sold for 175 each..done.
We raise registered lamancha and have a few nigerian and a saanen and mini saanen.. we live central Texas. Everyones disbudded unless requested other wise and prepaid for. We do not vaccinate but everyone's on coccidia prevention.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Pricing when I was new was probably the hardest thing to figure out. I ALWAYS keep it above market price though. I think as a buyer it would be worth to pay the extra to know a history, maintenance and what not on a animal instead of just picking something up at the sale yard. So over the years that has always been kinda my base line.
Now when I first started I asked this same question and got a really good idea on how to price, as a starting point. Get dam and sires price and average it out. In the beginning that really did help a lot. Of course if one has a flaw, not growing great blah blah the price goes down, if the kid is better quality then you think the price is at then add some to it.
But for conversation I have Boers, they are registered 50%-100%. I don’t sell bucks any more, but I sell market wethers. The lowest price I price anything here is $300. That is not counting the 10% off for repeat buyers or multiple purchases. I also kick back $25 to kids that kinda keep me in the loop on their market kids. After that it just really depends since I am still trying to replace lesser quality with better and I have such a wide verity in percentage animals. For the most part though I usually get between $600-800 for most of my private sales on registered doe kids.

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
Because they are a mixed breed and basically backyard pets, dairy bucklings will go cheap - around $100 or so, the doe maybe a little more, but she has nothing to recommend her as far as milk production data, LA, etc....... most kids have their wethers for fair right now (if there is one in their area) so most likely the bucklings will be meat or pet.

·
Registered
842 Posts
We only have Nigerian Dwarf goats and all of the adult stock are registered, so all kids are registerable (in theory). All kids are disbudded, CDT (I send the buyer with the second dose or offer to do it if they want to bring the kid back at 10 weeks), wormed if needed, tattooed for identification (even wethers or those going without papers), and we’re a negative tested herd. We wether kids before they leave our property.

While we don’t show, most of our adults are from show and strong milking lines. We’ve worked hard to acquire strong foundation stock and IMO (though I may be biased) we’ve got some of the nicer stock around in this immediate area.

Last year we sold unregistered does and doelings for $250, bucklings $200, and wethers $150. Registered bucklings were $250. This past year we sold all of our unregistered goats and acquired some really nice stock. For whatever reason, goats are selling like crazy this year around here. Registered doelings are $450, registered bucklings $350, and wethers $150. The doelings all had deposits on them within a day of being available. Bucklings had deposits within a week or two. I also have a wait list now for doelings and wethers with two does left to kid. With the way goats are selling right now, I could probably have gotten more for them. However, I think our goats are fairly priced based on their bloodlines and quality. When we start milk testing and LA and get some credentials on our does, we’ll probably increase like I’ve seen a lot of farms do.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I expect my quality genetic Nigerian doelings to go for $350 next year.
In following years it will likely increase.
They leave at 10 weeks on coccidia prevention, tattooed and ADGA registered, CDT, full health history.

I will not disbud. That is disclosed and it is buyer's responsibility to arrange if wanting it done. Best way to make sales on a farm that doesn't disbud is to advertise the breeding and take reservations in advance. This only works with desired breeding lines however, and my region is extremely saturated. Steep competition for new breeders for sure.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
We have fullblood and percentage boers, fullblood savannas, and purebred nubians. We sell breeding stock, show stock, commercial stock, and a few wethers for 4H. We do not disbud any of our kids.

Our prices range greatly. They can be anywhere from $150 to $2500+ depending on their purpose and quality.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I sold two Nigerian dwarf bucklings as backyard pets for $180 together when they were three days old, cheap for our area. They did not go with papers since they were going to be wethered and were not disbudded since we were leaving that up to the owners.

In my area, Nigerians go for either little money or lots of money; a quality, full grown buck can range from $150 to $2,000. Does go for $250 to $2,500. Lots of people also seem to like commercial and crosses. We brought two lamancha/guernsey does to the sale yard before and they sold for $200 each. It really depends on the milk lines and your buyers.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read a story once about a lady who raised boer goats and wanted every 4H kid to have a quality goat to show so put a low sale tag on them..(I'm thinking $50 or something..been a while since I read her story)
She didn't sale a one!! At a local 4H meeting she asked the kids why they didn't want her goats. She wanted to see what they were looking for. What was wrong with hers. They all told her they were too cheap so figured they weren't any good. Next season she upped her price significantly and sold everyone.
I sell reg or unregistered the same. Papers or not, They are nice goats. Generally I get 300-350 for does and 200 to 250 for bucks. I have sold for less when they purchased more than one or if a bucks been here a bit long and I find a wonderful home for them...so I'm not firm on my price if the need arises. We only had two bucks this season and one person bought both. I sold for 175 each..done.
We raise registered lamancha and have a few nigerian and a saanen and mini saanen.. we live central Texas. Everyones disbudded unless requested other wise and prepaid for. We do not vaccinate but everyone's on coccidia prevention.
That is a WONDERFUL lesson. Thank you!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know this is very market dependant , but I'm curious ! Let me know the breed , the sex , registered or not , disbudded or not , and the cost !
I'm trying to decide what a fair price point is to sell my lamancha Nubian kids. One female , two males, will be disbudded vaccinated and my herd is 2020 tested disease free.
Are they registrable? I had some Nubian/Lamancha crosses by mistake once and they are very popular with Boer breeders for milk, grafting orphan kids, and evidently make a good cross with boers. They didn't care about the registration, but I gave them the papers. Those doelings sold for $200 each. I had another doeling who I had been showing, and she had done very well in the ring. I sold her for $300 to a farm that raised purebred adga goats, but they had a lot of grades. So I think you should be able to get around $150-$200 for the doeling depending on how much demand is in your area. The bucklings will most likely go for less, maybe around $50-$100.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
She didn't sale a one!! At a local 4H meeting she asked the kids why they didn't want her goats. She wanted to see what they were looking for. What was wrong with hers. They all told her they were too cheap so figured they weren't any good. Next season she upped her price significantly and sold everyone..
That's pretty much what happened to me when I decided to sell market kids. Not that mine are high quality wethers that would win, but I wanted to sell to the kids that were like me when I was their age, the ones that look at their market animals as collage money, not spend $5,000 on a ribbon and $800 threw the sale. So I asked market price, I thought that was fair, I didn't have to pay the commission at the sale and they didn't have to pick up a possibly sick or older then it looked animal threw the sale. Not a single one sold. I am still the cheapest, $25 less, $50 when I kick back $25 after they show, but now im getting more and more kids to buy.
There seems to be such a fine line between asking a fair price that people won't dismiss because it's too cheap and want balk because it's too high.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup, in my research for available goats kids are going for 200-250 (nd blue eyes doeling)
I bought a starter herd of ND does a yearling doe w/ her doe kid and a smaller doe (she's a year but she is small the lady who had her told me not to bred) I paid 300 for the 3 goats
Then I found a mini La Mancha doe in milk 3yrs old and I paid 350 for her and she's registered.
Also in Central Texas

·
Registered
603 Posts
The goats in my area are priced so much more during spring and summer than in the rest of the year. This is what I would charge for any time of the year but could honestly get more for them at this time. I have Nigerian Dwarfs which may affect the prices but not sure. All my unregistered does start at $150. Unregistered bucks start at $100 (I usually don’t sell unregistered males unless they’re wethered). Wethers start at $100 too because If it was any lower they risk going to bad homes. If they are registered, the does start at $200 and the bucks start at $150. Blues eyes? add money, polled? add money (I disbud all the ones who aren’t polled), flashy/stands out/colorful? add money, good milker/ produces lots of milk? add money, good lines? add money. I give discounts to FFA/4-h members and to people buying multiple goats from me. I also reduce the price if the goat is skittish or over the age of 5 (most goats I sell are young). I have given multiple unregistered kids to friends for free though because I know they will be taken care of. My herd is now almost all registered.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
This is really interesting. Fun to learn what others do. I have cross bucklings, nice 50 + lbs at 3 months. They remain bucklings, no papers, cdt, cocci treatment, not disbudded, wormed, ready to show $250. Full blood tri color myotonic bucklings $250. With blue eyes $350. I didnt have any doelings to sell this year:shrug:..
And I have no idea what I will be asking for 100% boers next year. Im looking for does, so......
Im in Oklahoma

1 - 20 of 22 Posts