The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does pregnancy play in a goats will to live?

I have a doe who actually should have been put down several weeks or even months ago but she has a very strong will to live. She was bred Dec 15Th but got very sick shortly thereafter and I thought she had absorbed the fetus. She appears not to have as I THINK I can feel and hear the baby. She has started to gain a little weight in her belly only. She still looks like a walking sack of bones elsewhere. She is severely emaciated and no its not due to worms or cocci at least not right now it isn't as per the fecal performed by both the vet and myself. Eyelids are bright pink although she does have a bad case of pink eye that is being treated. Look for the "Swollen Head" post in the vet section.

Don't berate me but instead give me your thoughts on the question.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
She'd be due in 2 weeks right? As long as she's alive and is eating she's wanting to fight, try and get her some hi energy type foods the closer she gets to her due date so that she has the strength to deliver...and be with her as she may not have the strength to push that baby out. Also, if her condition is that bad, it may not be good for her to raise her babies, they may need to be supplemented so they aren't a drain on mom. I wouldn't take them from her as it may stress her to the point of going down fast. Also, something else to consider with your vet.....since she would be on day 145 in a week, you may think of inducing her labor so she can put more of her intake into herself quicker as opposed to the pregnancy and the kids would be viable at that time too.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I'd get her on a high energy feed like liz said, keep her comfortable (maybe move her away from the herd, keep a pal with her?) I think goats really enjoy having babies to take care of, maybe not the birthing part, but mine seem very content lying with their (and sometimes other's) kids.
:hug:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had considered that Liz. The thought of inducing sacres me because what if I am wrong. What if she did absorb that pregnancy and got bred again. Or didn't settle and was bred again when I didn't see it. So many WHAT IF's.

Katrina,She is seperated from the main herd in a pen that we threw up in an emergency. It is part of the smaller pen we had originally. She can see, hear, and even rub noses through and over the fence. We put her in this pen after she got knocked down and battered by the other goats. This way she is fed by herself so she has no competition.

Her diet consists of Alfalfa chops, grass, grass hay, and a little senior equine feed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts