The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am new to milking and have a production question. My lamancha, Betsy, has 6 week old triplets that we are separating at night. I milk her in the morning and was able to get 600-800 mL each day with that one milking for the first couple weeks. Now, I am getting 1000+ mL each morning and I occasionally milk her when I separate the kids if she looks full. I can usually get another 200 or 250 mL. I am just wondering if I should expect her production to continue to rise or not. I know there will be a max and then it will decrease, but I am unsure of when that should be. We will wear the triplets in another month or so and will milk her twice a day.

Another add on: Does this seem like good, average, or low production for a lamancha? It seems like a lot for a mama feeding 3 kids to me, but I am totally new:) Thank you so much! I love this forum!

·
GreenTGoats
10,512 Posts
That's pretty old. She has freshened before, correct?

I would expect more from a LaMancha that is past her first freshening, but she is pretty old. My third freshening Alpine doe gave 1/2 gallon a day last year, on the same schedule as you - nursing triplets that were getting locked up at night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know she is old:( I didn't really know anything when we purchased our first goats. They have thrived and all seem as happy as clams, but she is getting past her prime. She is a good teacher, though! She clearly has been a mom and been milked. She knows what to do, where to go, and doesn't give me much attitude:)

I have a young, pregnant (we hope/think) 2nd freshener Lamancha/ND mix. I bet her production will be much more! I can't wait!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts