how much feed?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by billmac, Mar 30, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I thought about posting this in Goat Sense but I don't get an option for posting there.

I have two new boer kids, and two new pygmy kids. Soon I will have 3 nubian kids (newborns). Is there a good resource on how much feed they all need?

Thus far I'm just getting by with textured 16% dairy grain and a little hay, but honestly I'm kinda flying blind. I know the info is available if I dig around for it, but I was just wondering if there was a good, easy to use reference.

Thanks

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    How old are the kids? If they are weened then free feed grass hay and pasture. If you cant pasture then use an 8% grain unless you are growin them for meat or they are currently working.(dairy, pack etc.) If they are pets hay and pasture are enough. If no pasture then I would feed the Nubian and Boer about 1/4lb of the grain per day. I dont know how big the Angora is if its nigie size then about 1/8lb of grain. Hope this helps.

3. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I'm not sure about the other breeds but I know with my Boer kids I creep feed them, providing them access to all the feed they want. I find it helps them grow out to their full potential. If they will be used for breeding stock they certainly have higher nutritional needs. If you don't want to give them free access to feed you might want to consider getting them a legume hay or a legume/grass mix. A lot of people feed alfalfa but other legumes like peanut are cheaper and work just as well.

Now if they're only going to be pets I agree they don't need much. But I would keep a higher level of protein regardless-at least 12%. This is just my personal thoughts though.

4. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    If this helps: The boer buck is about 12 weeks old. The boer doe is about 5 months old. They will be used as breeding stock. The pygmies are pets are are about 4 and 6 months old. The nubians will likely only be a week or two old when we get them next month.