The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have purebred nubian bucks, does and 9 week old babies. We also have Nigerian dwarf does and one mini Nubian.
QUESTION: How much grain would I feed my goats? I usually use the plastic scoops you buy at Tractor Supply. What I do is give each goat 1/2 scoop of grain per the plastic scoop.
All the babies and does are fed grain 2x a day. My bucks are fed grain 1x a day. They all get hay and chopped alfalfa, except I limit the alfalfa for the bucks…one handful 1x day. The adults and most of the 9 week babies graze in the field but we are in south Texas so forage is very limited.

Would someone tell me if this feeding schedule and amount of scoops per plastic scoop is correct? Do I need to feed more or less?
Appreciate your input as my hubby and I argue about the amount all the time!
Look forward to your reply, thanks!
Terry

·
Super Moderator
35,023 Posts
Look at the condition of you goats. Are they too thin or too fat or do they look just right?

·
Fair-Haven
5,574 Posts
What grain are you feeding? Condition will tell you more… I have different measurements for babies, dry does, does in milk , bucks , bucks in rut etc. I do feed everyone separately… so keeping an eye on condition will tell you more…

·
Registered
Goats, Chickens, Ducks. Did I say Goats?
151 Posts
No easy answer to that question... There are a whole lot of factors that go into making that decision. What breed of goat? What type of hay? Do they eat anything growing around (pasture/field/etc)? What state and county are the goats in? Where is the hay grown and how? What types of grain or grains? What minerals are in the water you give them? (I water with city water which has about 32ppm Ca which I factor in). All we can really give you is guidelines. The number varies depending on source but goats need about 40% by weight of the diet to be "forage" which basically means plant matter longer than an inch. Most goatherders use hay. After that, everybody differs. I suspect you'll get a different answer from every person on the board. The best way to decide is take a starting place (like your 1/2 scoop), feed it, then do a Body Condition check. (http://esgpip.langston.edu/sites/default/files/Technical Bulletin No. 8.pdf). Try for 2.5-3.0 score. If the number is lower, give more grain. If the number goes above 3, reduce the grain. That's the best advise you can get. However, if you really want to nerd out, you could play around with this:

·
Super Moderator
16,029 Posts
Different amounts are going to vary by condition, goals and even what grain. Not all grain is created equal. If your only feeding say a 1% fat and your trying to put fat on then one scoop of that is not going to do the same as a grain that is way 3% fat. Also there is protein and TDN of each ingredient in that grain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts