The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dropped down to one bottle a day for my two baby girls. I have been giving them each 1/2 cup of grain instead to replace the bottle I took away. I tried searching the forum for this but no luck...how much grain SHOULD I be feeding the girls?

FYI: The have hay at all times, browse all day (unless it's raining...then every couple of hours I go cut a tree branch and throw it in there lol), fresh water, minerals, and baking soda. They are getting 9 ounces in the bottle that's left. (They are small...the ounces based on their weight).

So how much grain should I give them each a day? Also, should I be feeding them grain once a day or twice?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I've always fed a cup of grain after morning and night bottles. Then when I cut the morning bottle out they still got the grain... Eventually they just got the grain. That is what I did.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have been giving them each 1/2 cup of grain instead to replace the bottle I took away. So how much grain should I give them each a day? Also, should I be feeding them grain once a day or twice?

Thanks in advance!!
Are they eating the grain? If so, then increase by about 1/2 cup/kid every 3-4 days until they are up to a pound or so. The key is to increase slowly so their rumens can adjust. Whatever grain they are eating should be split into 2 feedings. If they are not eating the grain, you cannot cut out the bottle until they do. Hay alone is not enough for a kid to thrive until they are at least 2-3 months old, and even then they need something besides hay.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Butterscotch is eating the grain, but Caramel is not.
They both turned 3 months old on August 12th. They eat browse during the day...ground cover, blackberry bushes, tree leaves, weeds.+

1 - 5 of 5 Posts