The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much grain do I give my doe that is not in milk? I am feeding them about 2 flakes a day could that go down too?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
When my big girl wasn't in milk, I gave her 2 cups of feed once a day. You really can't cut down on hay. They need to stay in condition and they need the hay to help keep them warm in winter.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When my big girl wasn't in milk, I gave her 2 cups of feed once a day. You really can't cut down on hay. They need to stay in condition and they need the hay to help keep them warm in winter.
How much would 2 cups be in pounds? Don't you have NDs?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't feed grain to dry adult does... at the moment they have pasture as well as hay am and pm with free choice loose minerals and are fat and sassy :)
We don't have enough pasture for that. Also I'm asking because we live in OH you don't have growing grass in winter.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had one full size girl. I don't weigh my grain so I don't know.
I'll try to find that out. I think it might weigh 1 pound but I'll try to figure that out.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Katie... we're neighbors! :)

I'm in West Central PA... and come winter, I feed each of my goats a cup of 18% plus crushed alfalfa/timothy hay cubes in the afternoon, all get free choice minerals and every one gets loaded with hay am and pm :)

Since the 2 or 3 does I breed each year are normally mid pregnancy with the start of winter, I feed them individually by putting them on the milkstand for their ration, this way I know they are getting what they should.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is very helpful I guess I don't have to feed my goats quite as much as I thought I would. I will definitely look into their feed and figure out the right amounts for them.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Absolutely be sure they stay in condition.... I don't go by how they look so much as I go by how they feel....winter coats can make any goat look fat, I feel for a good layer over the spine and ribs as well as a good handful of brisket :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
How much grain do I give my doe that is not in milk? I am feeding them about 2 flakes a day could that go down too?
Dry does do not need grain unless the hay is crap. What kind of hay and what do the bales weigh? A standard sized doe - Boer, Kiko, Spanish, Nubian, etc. - needs roughly 5 lbs of hay a day. A standard sized small square bale of hay contains roughly 18-20 flakes of hay. Divide the weight of the bale by the number of flakes to determine how much a flake weighs. Our small squares weigh 60 lbs, so 60/20 = 3 lbs per flake. If the hay is very good quality it will take less hay, if the hay is not so good, it will take more hay. Watch her and adjust up if you see hollows in front of her hipbones. Conversely, if you cannot feel her backbone or if she has fat pads over her breastbone, adjust down as she is too fat. Here is a guide to determining body condition in goats.

http://www.luresext.edu/goats/research/bcshowto.html

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I just free feed hay so I don't need to worry about weighing, and they can get as much as they want.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dry does do not need grain unless the hay is crap. What kind of hay and what do the bales weigh? A standard sized doe - Boer, Kiko, Spanish, Nubian, etc. - needs roughly 5 lbs of hay a day. A standard sized small square bale of hay contains roughly 18-20 flakes of hay. Divide the weight of the bale by the number of flakes to determine how much a flake weighs. Our small squares weigh 60 lbs, so 60/20 = 3 lbs per flake. If the hay is very good quality it will take less hay, if the hay is not so good, it will take more hay. Watch her and adjust up if you see hollows in front of her hipbones. Conversely, if you cannot feel her backbone or if she has fat pads over her breastbone, adjust down as she is too fat. Here is a guide to determining body condition in goats.

http://www.luresext.edu/goats/research/bcshowto.html
I don't know exactly what kind of hay it is. I know it's not alfalfa. I'll have to check up on that.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just free feed hay so I don't need to worry about weighing, and they can get as much as they want.
I have done that on and off. I just have to put it in a place where the horses can't get it.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also would like to know how much to feed a buck?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What age is the buck? Will you be using him for breeding this year and how many girls.
The buck was born at the end of Marc. He is 27'' tall and will be breeding 3-4 does.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
With him being under a year, I would feed some grain. Probably add alfalfa pellets to it too. He shouldn't need a lot though.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not giving him too much. I am letting them free feed on hay though. That's good for them right?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts