The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my goats a little over a year now and I have always given them a half a cup a grain. Is a half a cup enough? They graze all day they don’t eat hay now because they prefer grass and weeds but do get hay on rainy days . I have one weather and two does, I put a picture of the label that is on the grain I get, and before you tell me I should get a different kind of grain let me just say this is a 50 lb bag of grain that’s is made at my local feed mill and my only other option is tractor supplies and a bag of grain from there is like 20-30$ per bag and I cannot afford to spend that much, plus who knows how long those bags sit in the store, the one I get from the feed mill is made fresh every day. Plus it’s almost half the price. Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn’t mean to be mean when I said don’t tell me I should get a different feed it’s just that’s all I can’t afford to spend 20 to 30 dollars on feed every month right now, if you have some recommendations on a feed that wouldn’t break the bank feel free to say so , my goats love their grain and it smells amazing even to humans 🤪

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
This question gets asked a lot and truthfully we can't tell you the exact amount since we can't physically see you goats, but what I can say is that it on their condition. If they are skinny then they need more grain, if they are pretty chunky then cut back a little. But if their condition is about perfect then keep feeding the same amount!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This question gets asked a lot and truthfully we can't tell you the exact amount since we can't physically see you goats, but what I can say is that it on their condition. If they are skinny then they need more grain, if they are pretty chunky then cut back a little. But if their condition is about perfect then keep feeding the same amount!
The wether weighs 85 lb and my 3 year old doe weighs 73 lb and my year old doe weighs 56 lb so I think they weigh about average for Nigerian dwarf, I think my yearling doe could stand to gain a few lb but I guess she’s not done growing

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,627 Posts
You need to adjust the amount you are feeding based on their body condition. It's not even about how much they weigh, it's about how much fat and muscle they have. Here's an article on body condition if you aren't aware of how it's done: http://www.luresext.edu/sites/default/files/BCS_factsheet.pdf

If you have a goat that you think should gain some weight, up the amount of grain and see how they do. If one needs to loose some weight, give them a bit less. You just need to find what works for the individual.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to adjust the amount you are feeding based on their body condition. It's not even about how much they weigh, it's about how much fat and muscle they have. Here's an article on body condition if you aren't aware of how it's done: http://www.luresext.edu/sites/default/files/BCS_factsheet.pdf

If you have a goat that you think should gain some weight, up the amount of grain and see how they do. If one needs to loose some weight, give them a bit less. You just need to find what works for the individual.
Thanks so much that article was very helpful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.