The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added 6 Nigerian does to my herd. I have had 3 does and a whether for a year and a half these are my much loved pets (especially the whether just adore him) I came across someone in a bad situation who needed to get rid of her whole farm. I ended up taking 2 pregnant does with horns and 4 other does. I have seperated the 2 girls as they are pregnant and have horns so I am feeding them separately. The other 8 are together. When a had just the 4 I fed together my question is should I separate even more to feed or will they be fine together. My next even more important question is how much hay should I plan on feeding 10 goats?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do you know how much you're feeding the original bunch? I usually estimate in lbs because everyone's bales are different weights but I know how many lbs my girls go through in a week.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original 4 went through one medium sized square bale probably every week only but these new girls have been eating half a bale in a night. So I dont know if my old crew was way under fed (none were skinny all have great bodies) or if maybe these new girls are just eating a lot because they are nervous.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont need hay for a bit so that probably what I will do. Just worried with how much all these new girls are eating that I wasn't way under feeding my other 4.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Were they underweight? Maybe your hay just tastes really good to them and they are eating extra now. I guess in time you will see if they slow down a bit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's not a bad idea to weigh one of your bales (or get someone good with weights to guestimate). Mine have ranged from 40lbs to 65lbs. I know that when I feed two does with no supplements (like pasture) and who are neither pregnant nor lactating, I go through a 40(ish) lb bale in about 10 days.

Because I know the weight, I can easily do the math to see if I have to add more to my hay stores with new goats arriving,or winter! It's also easy to calculate how much to tell others to feed if I need someone else to do it.

It also means that I can't say to you "add X bales to feed these guys" because it depends so much on the size of them.

FWIW - I haven't found huge difference between first and second cut as far as how quickly they go through it.

IHTH

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
sorry a half ton is 1000# and looking at it I think it actually lasts me about 2 mos. I brought home 10 bales a month ago and have 5 bales left (our bales I believe run about 80# each. But, I feed a little heavy because we have no browse.

I believe rule of thumb, if they aren't babies growing, pregnant or milking avg is about 3% of their body weight per day. Obviously is some one is thin, or the above mentioned you maybe feeding about 5% of their body weight. If possible over estimate your needs so you don't run short.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe rule of thumb, if they aren't babies growing, pregnant or milking avg is about 3% of their body weight per day. Obviously is some one is thin, or the above mentioned you maybe feeding about 5% of their body weight. If possible over estimate your needs so you don't run short.
This is exactly the kind of information useful to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts