How much? How often?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by JoanRandolph, Aug 23, 2009.

1. JoanRandolph

JoanRandolph New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I have a Lamancha/pygmy cross. He has had diarrhea yesterday and today. I gave him some pepto but I don't know how much to give or how often. Is there anything else I should do for him? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would have your vet run a fecal to see what's going on. Is it a fairly young goat? Could have a cocci issue going on there that needs to be addressed with a cocci treatment like Di-Methox. But yeah, i'd have the vet do a fecal.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Kylee, a young goat...6 months and under are very susceptible to coccidia, a vets diagnosis and subsequent treatment would be in his best interest. If you think that he may have gotten too much as far as green browse, grain or anything "new" that caused the runs, the pepto should have helped, provided he got the doseage appropriate for his age....before 1 month old...2 cc....1 month and older 5-6 cc every six hours for 2 days. With hold all grain and browse, feed nothing but hay and make sure he is drinking...gatorade will sometimes entice them to drink more, orange and fruit punch flavors are a fav with my goats. Also, try to get some probiotics into him, either the stuff made for animals or yogurt with live active cultures, the diarrhea is the result of a stomach upset, so replenishing the good bacteria in the gut is helpful. I hope he recovers with no lasting effects and he does it quickly so he stops you from worrying :hug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree....a fecal ...will let you know ...just how to treat the scours issue ....also... do what Liz has recommended......great advice... Hope the kid gets better soon..... :hug:

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree. a fecal is a good start. If he is young it could be a cocci problem. If he is a year or more it could still be a cocci problem but its less likely. It could also be a worm issue. It could also be as simple as he had too much of one thing to eat, or something he isnt used to eating. Did you recently switch anything in his diet?
    beth

6. JoanRandolph

JoanRandolph New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the info. He is only about 10 weeks old. We just got him, so of course his diet is different from where he came from. I have samples to bring to the vet today. The Pepto seems to be helping a bit and he likes the gatoraid. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Hope you get quick answers :)

call me if you need anything

8. JoanRandolph

JoanRandolph New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Fecal analysis says coccidia. Sooooooo... now what do I use to treat that? and where can I get it? Thanks, you all have been great.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You would need to get the sulfa drugs ASAP to begin treatment, so either the vet will have Albon or you can get Di-Methox powder from a farm supply store. The Tractor Supply here carries Albon tablets as well as a sulfadimethoxine/terramycin combo powder.
    Corrid is another that is used.

Ordering any of these from Jeffers Livestock or the Di-Methox from Hoeggars Supply would take a minimum of a week to arrive......costly BUT the best net would be to get the med from the vet.

10. JoanRandolph

JoanRandolph New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Thanks, Liz

I picked up some Sulmet Oblets 5g at Tractor Supply. This remedy was posted on an older thread. I can certainly go out and get something else tomorrow, but I think TSC is closed now. I gave them each about 1/4 of a tablet. Let me know if you think something else would be more effective either instead of or in addition to. Each goat is about 10 weeks old and about 15 pounds each.

Thanks again.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Those are the tablets I mentioned, 5 gm is equal to 5000 mg, the dose for Albon in oblet form would be 250 mg per 10 lbs the first day then 125 mg per 10lbs once a day for days 2-5. You really can't overdose, it's actually best to be over than under dosing.

If you can, try and get weights on them to be sure you are giving the proper dose.

At 10 weeks I would think that a munchie/pygmy should weigh a minimum of 20# going by the weights that my pygmy kids are at 6 weeks(average is 12#) So I think the 1/4 oblet would be good.
    Just make sure they continue to drink and eat, also, 2 days after treatment you could give them some B-Complex to help replenish their supply.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry I missed your phone call Joan. Sounds like you have a treatment plan in place there and they should be good in a couple days