The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to figure things out on my one-year old (newly acquired) that has had scours since birth. I haven't given pepto until yesterday, as I was wanting to see if the different treatments we were trying were effective. No luck yet. Anyway, I gave a little pepto last night - not enough, clearly, to make one bit of difference.

How much should I be giving? She is about 70 lbs, I figure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Since birth?! Poor thing. I don't know about pepto, I have never used it.
This is probably a dumb question, but has she been dewormed? Did you get a fecal check done? She may have coccidiosis.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Poor, poor baby!! I would get a fecal done yesterday and give her about 6 ccs of pepto (I give my Boer wether [80lbs] about that much). Is she really thin? sunken in? I would imagine that scours have totally attacked her weight gain and appearance.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since birth, the breeder said. I have only had one fecal done, but she was clean on worms and cocci. We have since done a 5-day oral treatment with 40% di-methox, and have done a 4-day treatment with Neomycin. She has also been wormed with Valbazen.

I have never seen anything close to a normal poop. I'm curious whether her body is even capable of making goat berries ...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll send a picture. She is happy, runs with the herd, butts heads, and eats well. She has grown since we brought her home in February, but is definitely smaller than her sister (they are two of a set of triplets). The vet said she was on the thin side, but not overly thin for a Nubian.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
She is beautiful! I really wonder what it could be :confused: I would definitely give her the pepto and see if it helps her. It wont target the cause but it might fix the symptom.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Try 12cc's every 6 hours.

What are you feeding her? Some feeds or over feeding new feed can cause it.
If it is clumpy, there is nothing wrong with her, if you are feeding a good rich feed.

Is she on a lush pasture or browse?

Stops all grain, until you figure out her issue.

I would give her probiotics for 3 or more days and a fortified vit B complex shot 6cc's, for a few days, if she was given all those meds, her system needs a boost. It may also be why her poo is like that

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
The pepto dosed as Toth suggested may help temporarily but there are some goats out there that just aren't "normal" as far as goats go. I do know of one who has been tested for every type of parasite as well as for Johns and her butt is almost always yucky, she's 3 years old and certain feeds sometimes cause it to get worse and others don't.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I know of a goat someone had that always had the plops for poop. Healthy as can be (vet tested for everything under the sun, blood work etc). Vet said she was allergic to grass because in the winter she did get more clumped berries.

Ive given small kids 6cc of pepto so for a large goat I would give at least double if not triple that amount. From experience thats what works.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try 12cc's every 6 hours.

What are you feeding her? Some feeds or over feeding new feed can cause it.
If it is clumpy, there is nothing wrong with her, if you are feeding a good rich feed.

Is she on a lush pasture or browse?

Stops all grain, until you figure out her issue.

I would give her probiotics for 3 or more days and a fortified vit B complex shot 6cc's, for a few days, if she was given all those meds, her system needs a boost. It may also be why her poo is like that
She eats grass hay, and gets a scant cup of Purina goat chow every night. Our pasture is just grass, a variety of weeds, and blackberries. I think she was just on plain grass pasture before we acquired her. We have tried going grain-free for a week, and saw no change.

Her poops are not clumpy goat berries, like I see in my new moms right now. Rather, they are sometimes like overly soft dog poops, and sometimes just really wet splats on the ground.

I'll up the pepto and see what happens, and will give the vit B. She did have a week (or a little more) of Probios between each of those treatments. Nothing has changed in the poop department. At all.

The vet was stumped, and thought she might just have some sort of congenital issue. I had really hoped we could get her fixed up. The poop is awfully messy in the goat house ... still really hoping something will help the situation.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
try taking her off pasture all together. Like I mentioned I knew of a goat who was on pasture (or really just a grassy pen) who would only get berries in the winter when the grass dried up or was covered by snow.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
As far as the dosage on Pepto goes, I give babies up to 20cc. I've tried to give them 30cc, but 20 seems to be the magic number I can actually get them to swallow. I say this not to say anybody is wrong, just that you can give them a pretty good wack of it without anything bad happening. If I had your doe, I'd be on a mission to steal a cud from the best pooper you've got. I've never done that before, but I hear old timers recommend it all the time, so I'd be trying.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as the dosage on Pepto goes, I give babies up to 20cc. I've tried to give them 30cc, but 20 seems to be the magic number I can actually get them to swallow. I say this not to say anybody is wrong, just that you can give them a pretty good wack of it without anything bad happening. If I had your doe, I'd be on a mission to steal a cud from the best pooper you've got. I've never done that before, but I hear old timers recommend it all the time, so I'd be trying.
Now that's something new! So take a cud out of someone else's mouth, and offer it to Daphne? Or force it down the hatch???

And Stacey, so would you just keep your goat in the barn? For how long?

·
Registered
30,671 Posts
If you can put her in a pen with hay only and Probios until she firms up...
When a goat has graze with lots of moisture it can cause ploppy poop...If penning her is not an option then feed hay 30-40 minutes before setting out to pasture..
Worms shed eggs in cycles...I would have a series of fecal done three difference samples...just to be sure worms are not an issue..

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Now that's something new! So take a cud out of someone else's mouth, and offer it to Daphne? Or force it down the hatch???
Yeah, pretty much. I'd probably try and make a drench of some kind out of it. The theory is the same as probios, but the real thing from a real goat. Ever smelled the breath of one chewing it's cud? Yummy... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts