How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Nov 17, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My girls always get chopped alfalfa....usually about 2 cups for each though some get more due to the "bully" factor....I did something different tonite though and they went absolutely nuts! I put approximately 10 cups in a bucket and added a gallon of hot water...it sat for an hour or so and when I went to milk, they all get grain at this time...I took and split the wet alfalfa between 3 pans..2 goats per pan...of course they really went to town over it...the fact that it made a alfalfa tea was also enjoyed...Binky slurped it right up. Will this affect their health in any way? It's not "grain" but it is "rich".....should I ration it a bit more?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well....an answer to my own questions....I could tell today who had too much...Binky and Tilly are making stiff "goat pies" and Bootsie has clumped berries, didn't seem to affect the younger 3 does.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I saw your posting earlier but had no idea how to answer it, never tried that before. Do you think you'll continue giving them this but in smaller amounts? It sounds yummy (to the goats). ;)

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    We call it lucerne tea seeing as your alfalfa is called lucerne here ...

I give it to goats who are sick, and I have never had stomach upsets before. I'm not sure how much would be too much, but when I make it I use like half a 9L bucket of lucerne chaff and then the warm water on top of that, leave it to steep for half an hour or so, then I drain off the water and offer the water and the wet chaff seperately.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I figured that since nobody had the bad runs, the amount they had was enough. They all seemed to like the warm meal as all the buckets were licked clean, maybe this won't be a "bad" thing as it has gotten super cold super fast!

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    The other thing mine like is a warm bran mash with the warm wet lucerne chaff mixed through it.

I know I spoil them :oops: :shrug:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine REALLY like warm oatmeal....maybe I should try mixing the alfalfa in that! :wink:

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Liz - you use the alfalfa pellets or cubes right? So, you just took apart the cubes and mixed it with the water? I might try that. . . . I don't think our alfalfa supply will last through the winter. It sounds like a good thing to give after a doe kids too. Nice yummy and warm treat for all her hard work. :)

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, Olivia I use the cubes...when I gave them dry, it was when I broke them up into pieces..like chopped alfalfa...the ones I soaked I didn't break apart..it was what I had left in the sack...which TSC carries for around $13.00.....After these are gone though, I am going to get the pellets since I found that a feed mill near my mom has them on hand at all times..I don't need to "special order" them. I'm sure you won't need to break up the cubes if you plan on soaking them.

10. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We don't feed straight alfalfa since it is too rich for our goats.

11. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Maybe its different with the different goat breeds but I've always been told never ever feed your goats wet hay. We raise registered Nubians and Boer goats and a few months back one of my sons fed one of our real nice boer goats wet hay and he died a couple of days later. The vet told us that's what did it so now if our hay is even a little bit damp we don't feed it.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wet hay isnt the problem..........moldy hay is. If the hay gets wet it can turn moldy, quickly if the temps are right.

if you hay gets wet what you do is open up the bale and let it dry out. Check for any mold and if there is none then it is safe to feed the goats. I have fed wet hay and wet hay that was dried out with no ill effects.

i do believe your goat died from somethign else so sorry :hug: