How much is too much...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pejink, Apr 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pejink

Pejink Member

Dec 16, 2017
    10 week Buckling came down with Cocci and barber pole worms. Got meds from the vet and have been giving jump start. What else, if anything should I be giving to help. They said that we will have to quarantine then take them out of the pen and let everything die for 10 days before putting them back in. (do i need to try to pick up the poop or anything while they are being treated?)

There is a second buckling that tested negative, but treating anyway per Vet suggestion due to they have been housed together. The second buckling has a bit of a bloated stomach however and is still on a bottle. If he tested negative, is there something else that could be going on?

So to my original question...how much help is too much help. Some places suggest vit E or B12 complex injections. They are being treated with Albom and Ivermectin and still the probiotic. I don't want to overtax his system. And do you suggest that I have a fecal done on all of them after about a month to test for any reoccurance?

Sorry but my girls who are almost 2 had ABSOUTLEY no issues except for hoof splitting which was cause by our very wet winter and lack of minerals(added free choice and copper bolus).

I am at such a loss and worried about them.

TIA

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I've not used Albon so I don't know anything about it other than I believe it's another form of Sulfadimethoxine. We've been using Sulfadimethoxine and it usually works really well and seems to be very safe.
    Honestly, I don't know what part of the country your in, but Ivermectin would probably not be my first choice around here for Barberpole. You really have to give high doses of Ivermectin for it to be worth using.
    Around here we use Cydectin (pour on given orally I believe 1cc per 10lbs is current recommendation), Cydectin Sheep Drench (give 2x the sheep dosage), Quest or Quest Plus horse paste (3x a horse dose so 50lb. goat gets 150lbs. dewormer) --- those all have Moxidectin as active ingredient BUT Quest Plus is great for killing tapeworm (which we do deal with in kids in the summer months).
    Valbazen may be another good choice. We just started using it 2 years ago randomly and it's really cleaned ours out. It's the rare dewormer that is actually labeled for goats! But dosage is different - 1cc per 10lbs.

I wouldn't worry about it being too much, we have treated more aggressive with kids last year and they were all fine and cleared up.

I feel your pain with worms though, we've having issues right now too. I started doing my own fecals because I can't afford to have every goat checked by the vet.
    I have been disappointed to find that most of the does in one pen have cocci, the ones I suspected, and the one I least suspected (looks great & acts great, but had a higher egg count than the others!).
    We originally treated with Sulfadimethoxine on the first few I did fecals, and they are on a 2nd round using CoRid.
    Then the other few I just started treating are getting Sulfadimethoxine in the morning and CoRid in the evening - this is the more aggressive treatment I mentioned above suggested by our vet.

I can't confirm the worm we have seen in a couple of the adults, some say Barberpole, vet and others say Hook Worm. Basically treated the same way. I'm wanting to contact local livestock lab to see if I can send in a sample for verification/confirmation of what it really is.

toth boer goats likes this.

3. Pejink

Pejink Member

Dec 16, 2017
    How do you do your own fecals??? That seems like a great thing for me to learn!!

I'm going to have to just try this and see what happens. I know I will have to buy more jump start so may pick up some B12 too. That is an injection correct?

I'm in Northern Alabama and the people I know that have goats don't have much trouble with worms etc. But they have full size and I have Nigerian. If I can learn to do my own samples or if you can point me in the right direction that would be great so that I can check the babies more often. I plan to breed once we open up our pen more but I want to get a good handle on what works worm wise before I let one get pregnant. I think my girls may just be heartier than my boys. LOL

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    If you can, I would order toltrazuril for coccidia. we use 1 cc per 5# at 3 weeks and booster in 10 days if treating rather then preventive. I use it again after stressors such as banding or weening..bad weather..but always 10 days between. Albon is DiMethox, and a good OTC choice. But it is a 5 day treatment you do every 21 days until weened. I don't recommend ivomec in kids under 6 months old due to research showing it can cause brain damage in some kids. Since we have other choices, I would choose another for boosters. Valbazen is great for kids, its oral and gets liver fluke as well. If you see tape worm in poop after first dose, then give 3 days in a row, other wise booster in 10 days. We use Quality Essential oils and herbs here for worm load with success. It's actually preferred by some to deworm and treat coccidia at the same time. When dealing with coccidia I would also give them tummy tamer which is 1 teaspoon each Cinnamon, ginger, cayenne pepper, slippery elm, clove (for unbred goats)acv and molasses in enough water to drench, 20-30 cc. This will help sooth and heal the intestines and help with worm load as well.

5. Pejink

Pejink Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Wow that's a lot of info. Lol. I know there are so many choices and some can cause reactions in one goat and another be fine. Out of the 4 goats I have it's one that is sick. Everyone else is fine. I'm hoping that this treatment helps and if not we will go another route. I'd love to learn how to do my own fecals bexaube I am a paranoid parent much less a paranoid goat parent. I'd like to keep a closer eye on my babies.

happybleats and toth boer goats like this.
  6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    That's similar to my recipe, except I add garlic.

happybleats likes this.
  7. Pejink

Pejink Member

Dec 16, 2017
    In doing this mix do you give it all at once? In just a syringe?

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes I give all at once, using either a syringe ( no needle) or a drenching syringe. If it seems too much for tiny ones, split in two servings.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I give a smaller dosage than @happybleats but I would use an oral syringe and feed very slowly (but all at once) or add a bit of flaxseed meal to make into balls.