How Much Longer? Any guesses?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by powderhooves, Mar 17, 2009.

1. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I have a doe who I think is near kidding but I am not that experienced. Last year I just thought they were all fat. I also don't want to miss work unless I need to but on the other hand I don't want to leave anything to chance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this picture she's on the far right. And...if you are up to the task....how many babies????
    [​IMG]

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    O my! It's so hard to tell with all the fluff LOL! I will guess at least twins, but I'm not very good at judging due date by the pooch as it can change dramatically minutes before birth!

3. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Nice looking goats. It would be easier to watch udders, vulvas and is clean after birth if you can crotch them. Crotching is when you remove the wool around the udder and vulva. I honest don't know if you crotch angoras. Being that they are a fiber animal. We do the sheep, but the boers don't need it. Shelly

4. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Last year we trimmed hooves before one of the girl's delivered. I think it mispositioned the baby and despite intervention by two experienced neighbors and a vet we were unable to save the baby. That's why we haven't sheared before kidding this year. That might not have had anything to do with it but we don't want to take any chances. Also, we live in the mountains and it's still snowing off and on. Last year after they delivered we clipped the hair around the udders so the babies could find a nipple instead of sucking on curls...but we did that after the baby was born in each case. We considered trimming the hair earlier this year but are just too scared to do it.

Thanks!!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do all sorts of things to my girls before they kid :doh: I am weird that way. I doubt trimming hooves in and of themselves caused a problem but if she was real upset and freeked out etc I can see how it might have brought her into labor to quickly with the baby in the wrong position.

Good luck this year - my estimation is that she has 1 month or more to go.