The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from NH! I'm using the below mineral (Manna Pro Goat Mineral) for wethers who are a few years old and am confused how much to feed on a daily basis. Instructions read:

"Feed Manna Pro ® Goat Mineral at the rate of 1/4 - 1/2 oz per goat, per day. If Goat Mineral is offered on a free-choice basis, daily consumption must be monitored and the location of the mineral feeder managed to obtain the desired 1/4 - 1/2 oz daily feeding rate."

Thanks for any help!

https://www.mannapro.com/goat-sheep/supplements/goat-mineral

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,273 Posts
I wouldn't worry about what the bag says for minerals as far as dosage goes. They just have to cover their butts. ;)

Loose minerals should be fed free choice. The goats can regulate how much they need. I don't know if you can get anything else, but Manna pro minerals aren't the best minerals in many people's opinions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply! Oh, more than happy to hear advice on better minerals as we're new to the scene. Any recommendations? :)

I wouldn't worry about what the bag says for minerals as far as dosage goes. They just have to cover their butts. ;)

Loose minerals should be fed free choice. The goats can regulate how much they need. I don't know if you can get anything else, but Manna pro minerals aren't the best minerals in many people's opinions.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply! Oh, more than happy to hear advice on better minerals as we're new to the scene. Any recommendations? :)
Many people on here really like and use Sweetlix Meat Maker. That's what I give my goats. It has higher copper and zinc levels than manna pro, and also has iodine in it. If goats don't get enough iodine they can develop goiter. I bought my bag from a local feed store so I would ask around to see if they have it, if they don't here is a link to get it online.

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/sweetlix-meat-maker-goat-16-8-with-rainbloc

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,273 Posts
Yes, I use Sweetlix Meat Maker for my bucks and like it a lot. There's also Purina Wind and Rain cattle mineral, and I hear that Cargill Onyx is a good one too. For my does I use a goat mineral from a local co-op store that is formulated for my area. That would be something you'd have to ask around to see if anyone sold something like that.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Yes, I use Sweetlix Meat Maker for my bucks and like it a lot. There's also Purina Wind and Rain cattle mineral, and I hear that Cargill Onyx is a good one too. For my does I use a goat mineral from a local co-op store that is formulated for my area. That would be something you'd have to ask around to see if anyone sold something like that.
May I ask, why do your bucks get a different mineral from your does?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,273 Posts
May I ask, why do your bucks get a different mineral from your does?
The two minerals that I have available are Sweetlix and the Co-op one. In trying to figure out which I wanted to use I found that my does did better on the Co-op minerals and the bucks did a little better on Sweetlix. The other reason is that the Co-op store is kind of a far drive for me, but I can get Sweetlix really close by, so in order that I don't have to drive to get minerals so often I feed the Co-op minerals to my does and Sweetlix to my bucks. I've noticed that I have had less trouble with minerals deficiencies now that I feed them two different mixes.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
The two minerals that I have available are Sweetlix and the Co-op one. In trying to figure out which I wanted to use I found that my does did better on the Co-op minerals and the bucks did a little better on Sweetlix. The other reason is that the Co-op store is kind of a far drive for me, but I can get Sweetlix really close by, so in order that I don't have to drive to get minerals so often I feed the Co-op minerals to my does and Sweetlix to my bucks. I've noticed that I have had less trouble with minerals deficiencies now that I feed them two different mixes.
Thanks, that makes sense! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many people on here really like and use Sweetlix Meat Maker. That's what I give my goats. It has higher copper and zinc levels than manna pro, and also has iodine in it. If goats don't get enough iodine they can develop goiter. I bought my bag from a local feed store so I would ask around to see if they have it, if they don't here is a link to get it online.

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/sweetlix-meat-maker-goat-16-8-with-rainbloc
Thank you! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts