How Much Mineral to Feed Goats Daily?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Dylann, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Hello from NH! I'm using the below mineral (Manna Pro Goat Mineral) for wethers who are a few years old and am confused how much to feed on a daily basis. Instructions read:

"Feed Manna Pro ® Goat Mineral at the rate of 1/4 - 1/2 oz per goat, per day. If Goat Mineral is offered on a free-choice basis, daily consumption must be monitored and the location of the mineral feeder managed to obtain the desired 1/4 - 1/2 oz daily feeding rate."

Thanks for any help!

https://www.mannapro.com/goat-sheep/supplements/goat-mineral

MadHouse likes this.
  2. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about what the bag says for minerals as far as dosage goes. They just have to cover their butts. ;)

Loose minerals should be fed free choice. The goats can regulate how much they need. I don't know if you can get anything else, but Manna pro minerals aren't the best minerals in many people's opinions.

MadHouse likes this.

3. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Thank you for the quick reply! Oh, more than happy to hear advice on better minerals as we're new to the scene. Any recommendations? :)

4. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Many people on here really like and use Sweetlix Meat Maker. That’s what I give my goats. It has higher copper and zinc levels than manna pro, and also has iodine in it. If goats don’t get enough iodine they can develop goiter. I bought my bag from a local feed store so I would ask around to see if they have it, if they don’t here is a link to get it online.

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/sweetlix-meat-maker-goat-16-8-with-rainbloc

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    MadHouse likes this.
  5. MellonFriend

Yes, I use Sweetlix Meat Maker for my bucks and like it a lot. There's also Purina Wind and Rain cattle mineral, and I hear that Cargill Onyx is a good one too. For my does I use a goat mineral from a local co-op store that is formulated for my area. That would be something you'd have to ask around to see if anyone sold something like that.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

May I ask, why do your bucks get a different mineral from your does?

7. MellonFriend

The two minerals that I have available are Sweetlix and the Co-op one. In trying to figure out which I wanted to use I found that my does did better on the Co-op minerals and the bucks did a little better on Sweetlix. The other reason is that the Co-op store is kind of a far drive for me, but I can get Sweetlix really close by, so in order that I don't have to drive to get minerals so often I feed the Co-op minerals to my does and Sweetlix to my bucks. I've noticed that I have had less trouble with minerals deficiencies now that I feed them two different mixes.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, Sweetlix Meat Maker 16:8 is a good one and the goats love it, free choice. ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  9. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Thanks, that makes sense! :)

MellonFriend likes this.
  10. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Thank you! :)