How much poop is normal?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by lyndaf99, Jan 7, 2016.

1. lyndaf99

lyndaf99 New Member

Jan 5, 2016
    I have a 3 week old Nigerian dwarf doeling. She only poops one small ball in the morning. Is that enough? She's my first goat and I guess I just think she should go more often.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She should definitely be pooping more often. They poop multiple times per day.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yep, they poop a lot. What is she eating?

4. lyndaf99

lyndaf99 New Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Dumor calf replacer. I've been told by others that that's not good for goats but the lady I bought her from said specifically to put her on calf replacer not goat. I did just give her a liquid suppository so she has started to go some

5. ksalvagno

You really need to get her off the replacer. The soy in it is not good for goats.

6. lyndaf99

lyndaf99 New Member

Jan 5, 2016
    She has 3 bottles a day of 6-8 ounces

7. lyndaf99

lyndaf99 New Member

Jan 5, 2016
    So instead, I should be giving her 6-8 ounces, 3x a day of just regular whole milk from the store? And just warm it up?

8. ksalvagno

Yes. But you need to do 24 hours of electrolytes to clear out her system before changing to regular milk.

9. lyndaf99

lyndaf99 New Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Even though I gave her a suppository?

10. ksalvagno

The not pooping is a separate issue from changing milk. You never just change milk type on an animal. You either slowly change them over or do the 24 hours of electrolytes before changing milk.

11. AncientBlue

AncientBlue Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Central Florida
    On the original poop question, if my husband gets down to the goat area before me he generally refers to it as 'poop-ageddon'. They poop quite a bit.

12. lyndaf99

lyndaf99 New Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Ok she is now on whole milk but she's still not pooping. She pooped the night I gave her the suppository and then twice the next day but none yesterday and only a small one today. What should I do? Another suppository or I saw something about mineral oil...

13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would give her an enema.