How much protein is too much?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Fainters, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I was talking to a guy at the feed store and he said that he feeds 12% sweet feed mixed with 44% soybean pellets to his goats. I am not sure how you calculate that but I think that means that he is giving them at least 28-30% protein? How much is too much and how does it affect the goats?

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    It depends on how he is mixing it.

If he is mixing it

1 part sf to 1 part SB pellets it would be 28% protien

2 parts sf to 1 part SB pellets = 22%

3 parts sf to 1 part SB pellets = 20%

4 parts sf to 1 part SB pellets = 18%

and so on

All you do is add each parts protien % then devide by how many parts in all there are and you have your protien %. More people will answer about how the high protien can effect them but there is how you figure the protien % depending on how you mix it.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I had the same question so I am very glad that you asked it. I too feed not even a handful of soybeans to my goats because they were given to me and I hate to waste anything.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Soy really is not that good for goats. We used to feed soy and we had many problems with resperitory, weakened immune systems, fertility problems, and abortions. When we stopped feeding soy our goats became really healthy.
    We feed 12-14% mix of barley, oats, BOSS and a little corn to all of our goats, meat and dairy, and they all grow great, milk great, and do great on it. We never had this much success when we fed them high protien food.

5. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i feed a 16% protein feed for goats & i add shredded beet pulp &boss to it. i like to give my milkers 18% protein. any thing over that i am afraid of milk fever

6. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    goat happy, I was thinking that too. Soybeans also have bad effects on women's systems.... I think it contains too much estrogenic properties? I dunno, my mom's the expert on that stuff, LOL. Do you know?

I feed a 16% protien feed. I add wheat germ to it alot and did have BOSS until I ran short of money...... :D

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    PM me your email addy and I can send you an article I wrote :D Its not good at all, its kind of a scam.