How much room do you give your bucks?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Perfect7, May 15, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    This weekend we are supposed to be putting up the buck pen for our buck and his whether friend. The area I have in mind that would be convenient for feeding and watering (ie...not way out in the pasture) is about 100 feet by 45 feet. This will be for two boers when they are full grown (they are both babies right now). Is this big enough? I could otherwise put them in the front 2 1/2 acre pasture with the girls in the back 8 acres with the horses. I was just hoping to use the smaller front pasture for bringing the girls up when they are close to kidding to better keep an eye on everybody and to maybe rotational graze them. So how big of an area do you give your guys?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    would work.... but the 2 1/2 acre pasture would be much better for them.... if you are able to do so... if not... use the smaller area ....I use 24x24 at night ...but... let our bucks run ..... in a 1/2 acre during the day.... :wink: :thumb:

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you! I can fence off at least 1/2 acre of the 2 1/2 for them and still keep them close enough for convenient feeding and watering. That will also keep them a little further away (and downwind) from our front yard. :wink:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    There ya go....great idea.....that should work out fine.... :thumb: :wink: