How much SHOULD a Nigerian Dwarf weigh?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by CaramelKittey, Aug 3, 2020.

1. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

I tried searching the Internet to find out how much a full grown Nigerian Dwarf doe should weigh, and saw everything from 25-70lbs, so I figured I'd better ask on TGS. ;)
    The information was not any clearer when it came to the bucks.
    I just weighed my does, and one (Gracie) weighed 56.6lbs (Still surprised I could lift her! She squirmed!) and the other (Squeaks) weighed 48.3. Is this normal? Are they overwieght? I know they aren't underweight..:haha: but DON'T tell them I said that!
    Thank you so much in advance!

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Body condition is sometimes more important to focus on than actual weight.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    In my experience, 50-60lbs, but they can be all different shapes and sizes. Condition is what matters.

5. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

My does are in the 70's and my bucks are 85-90 lbs.

CaramelKittey, MadHouse and Ashlynn like this.
  6. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    My Nigerian adult does are usually 50-75lbs and bucks about 70-90lbs. Body condition is much more important. Also keep in mind most goats keep growing until they’re like 5 years old

CaramelKittey and MadHouse like this.
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    My adult does are all between 50 and 80 lbs, with the older does weighing more. I can’t imagine an adult ND only weighing 25#. One of my April doe kids is already over 30#, and my runt who was just over 1# at birth in April is almost 25# now. My older bucks are probably pushing 100#, but I don’t have a livestock scale yet and don’t really want to pick them up to weigh them.

CaramelKittey, MadHouse and Ashlynn like this.
  8. CaramelKittey

Thanks so much everybody!
    We just started our lactacting does on Standlee alfalfa pellets and according to Standlee's forage product feeding instructions, Gracie should be getting 1.1lbs of alfala pellets, and Squeaks should be getting 1lb of alfalfa pellets. Does that should right? How much do you feed your lactating ND does?
    https://standleeforage.com/products/premium-alfalfa-pellets
    Thanks in advance!

9. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I don’t feed just alfalfa pellets to my lactating does. Mine get a little bit of peanut hay, 5 handfuls of alfalfa pellets, and however much grain/goat pellets they need according to body condition. This is all given at feeding time, but they have access to coastal hay and minerals all day long. If you are feeding just alfalfa then that sounds about right. Try it and then you can always make adjustments based on things such as body condition, production, time it takes to eat or if they don’t eat it all.

CaramelKittey, NDinKY and Kass like this.
  10. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We mob feed the lactating does and kids, with a couple non-lactating ones joining in. For 8 adults, 6 of whom are lactating, and 8 kids we are feeding 1 scoop alfalfa pellets and 1 scoop grain twice a day, in addition to browse and hay. Right now I’m only milking one. She gets as much as she wants while on the stand. When my electronic milker comes in I’ll be milking more.

I’m actually cutting them back now that the kids are 3-4 months old and don’t need as much milk.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  11. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We are still feeding them grain with their alfalfa pellets. They are maintaining good condition but not eating all their alfalfa pellets. They are eating some though, and getting used to them.

Ashlynn likes this.
  12. CaramelKittey

Thank you!
    How big is a scoop? All my ‘scoops’ are old human food containers. ;)

13. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    It’s roughly 3 pounds. Just the plastic grain scoops from tractor supply.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  14. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I have a larger doe who is 60-65 pounds, but her granddaughters are all between 40-50. All the bucks we've leased except one have been maybe 65-70. WE purposely go small because our larger doe just barely squeaks under the measuring stick at shows.

Ashlynn and CaramelKittey like this.
  15. CaramelKittey

Thank you! Our doe Squeaks is about 17 3/4 inches tall at the withers, so I'm hoping to go a little taller with her, as long as she can safely have kids. I'd never breed her to a buck intentionally if it wasn't safe. ;) Gracie is probably about 18-19 inches tall at the withers, which is fine for me.
    Thanks @MellonFriend for the link! I've seen that video before, but I totally forgot about it!

MellonFriend likes this.