The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to be gone for a week in January and have a guy who might board my doe and her two kids. How much would it cost in a week. Our grain is $8.88 for 50 lbs and alfalfa is $9 a bale.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I didn't know people boarded their goats! My Mother usually stays at the house and watches my animals. I've also had a friend come over to take care of them for a weekend. Maybe try that route? I give my Mother money for gas, leave food in the house. Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't know people boarded their goats! My Mother usually stays at the house and watches my animals. I've also had a friend come over to take care of them for a weekend. Maybe try that route? I give my Mother money for gas, leave food in the house. Good luck!
Well you see this is a family trip so everyone in my family is going that lives in TN

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goats are not dogs. They do not tolerate moving well. They can get sick, have parasite blooms, etc.

What you should be doing is pricing out how much a farm helper will charge to stay over at your farm!
I don't really want to do that because he would have to stay at the house and I can't just let anyone stay at the house. All of our church friends don't know how to milk except for one guy and he might send his kids and his kids are quite destructive. And in the past I've given my goats moving sickness medication and they've been fine. How do you think I bought my first goats or got them disbudded.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I think your goats will be fine boarded out because they'll have each other for company. Moving is a little stressful if they don't do it all the time so your milk production might drop off a bit, but they should be ok as long as they're well cared-for in a comfortable place. I really don't know what you should expect to pay for goat boarding. It really depends on their situation. If you are providing hay, grain, and bedding then it will be cheaper than if the farm owner is providing those things. Feeding, watering, and milking all take time. Does your goat need to be milked once/day or twice? I'm not familiar with Tennessee, but around here there would be an extra cost for electricity this time of year to heat the water (or an extra charge to bust up the ice and refill it twice/day). How much are you expecting to pay for board?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes of course it is always better for them to stay home BUT if that can’t be done that can’t be done. No big deal. It will be some added stress but less if they have to stay home with no one tending to them ;)
I honestly have no idea how much it would cost to board. I would imagine it just depends on how much one wants to charge. For me it would be what’s another few mouths to take care of lol BUT I would buy their feed ahead of time and take it over with the goats. That way if something happens to come up for the person tending to the goats they won’t have the burden of worrying about going and getting them feed if they happen to run out, or to prepare for the goats to come.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your goats will be fine boarded out because they'll have each other for company. Moving is a little stressful if they don't do it all the time so your milk production might drop off a bit, but they should be ok as long as they're well cared-for in a comfortable place. I really don't know what you should expect to pay for goat boarding. It really depends on their situation. If you are providing hay, grain, and bedding then it will be cheaper than if the farm owner is providing those things. Feeding, watering, and milking all take time. Does your goat need to be milked once/day or twice? I'm not familiar with Tennessee, but around here there would be an extra cost for electricity this time of year to heat the water (or an extra charge to bust up the ice and refill it twice/day). How much are you expecting to pay for board?
I was thinking's to provide the feed and pay him $50 bucks a week. But I've decided to let a few friends take care of them over the week and give them a goft card or so, and I'll just have to teach them to milk and what to feed them. And on top of the goats we have two dogs and a small flock to take care of.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes of course it is always better for them to stay home BUT if that can't be done that can't be done. No big deal. It will be some added stress but less if they have to stay home with no one tending to them ;)
I honestly have no idea how much it would cost to board. I would imagine it just depends on how much one wants to charge. For me it would be what's another few mouths to take care of lol BUT I would buy their feed ahead of time and take it over with the goats. That way if something happens to come up for the person tending to the goats they won't have the burden of worrying about going and getting them feed if they happen to run out, or to prepare for the goats to come.
The feed idea is a great suggestion but once again I will have to keep them home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts