The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nachos babies seem to be nursing fine. She's slightly larger than a ND, feral goatie. I think she weighs about 70 pounds give or take 10 pounds. Two babies from a ND buck.

The babies were born the night of the 18th. One side doesn't seem to be getting nursed on. Its always bulging, shiny and hard.

So I milked it out, took slightly over a cup out. I froze it, just in case another baby needs it down the road.

That side is still slightly larger than the other side.

And since she's producing so much milk, when is the colostrum gone and when can we start using the milk?

the milk came out super easy in large heavy streams (this was my first time milking) and I noticed I can only seem to milk with my left hand? And I'm right handed! The other side I tried out just for reference and it was easy to milk but the hole seemed smaller?

So anyway, advice on what to do to help her. She seems to be very uncomfortable on that side.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Go ahead and milk her out. She will produce more. They say about 2 weeks but some go later, some go earlier. You could always taste it and if it doesn't taste good, then freeze for an emergency. You won't want to use that as colostrum but if you have to bottle feed, you will be happy to have some already in the freezer.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
If you are wanting to use the milk then I would really start to milk her. If say your only milking a cup a day her body is going to think that's all it takes to feed her kids so will make less. Also if you milk her out and that half becomes less hard one of the kids might change to that side. And really that's a good thing. Right now she will feed them for how ever long they want but later she will only hold still for about a minute many times threw the day so at each feeding only 1 kid will eat.
My lamancha makes way more milk then the kids need so after she kids I milk her out at night....both sides. If you go that way just make sure the milk demand isn't too much for her and loosing weight.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I'll milk her out all the way tonight. She's eating a ton and is kinda chunky still... So I bet it'll be fine. I milked out a cup and then stopped. Her udder was still full and hard. lol So I imagine there was a LOT more milk than that in there.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I would milk her out once a day and go from there. If she still is very full, then milk her twice a day. Sounds like you won't even have to separate the kids at all.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll try to get a better udder shot. It might help me to look at her udders from a photo (photos don't move hehe) and you can tell me if I'm getting all the milk out. I've NEVER milked before in my life. Thankfully she's a good girl and seemed to LIKE the milking...

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Once a day is what we do here while kids are on our does. :) She was probably relieved when you milked her!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Also with the milking with left side. Try and milk from the other side of her if you want to use your right hand. The sharp of the teat much have something to do with it or the way you place your hand. With my one goat I can only milk from me being on her right side.....I can milk both teats with my right hand but only her right side with my left hand. With my other goat all that is backwards and another I can milk her any side any way. I don't know if the shape of the teat is really the issue but that's all I can figure :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
You didn't milk her out. Just keep working on it. Her bag should look deflated. I would also make sure her udder is even when done.

Don't be afraid to milk her totally out.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By bag do you mean all the way up to the top near the vulva area? That area was still big and hardish. The one side was HARD to milk! The hole was small and the milk kept coming and coming.

Should I milk her again in the morning?

·
8,197 Posts
Massage her udder with udder balm, eventually that hard area should soften up. She looks like she has nice easy big teats to milk, so
the more you milk her, the easier it will be for you and her! Small openings are a pain, but at least the teats have some size!
Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm obviously doing something wrong here. I massaged her udder and milked her for as long as her and myself could tolerate. At first the milk came out easily in big streams. I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I even bumped her udder a bit like the kids do. The top part of her udder is still pretty hard, and there is a harder spot inside the udder side I can't seem to get as empty.

I don't have udder balm, is there something else I can use? Should I milk just the fuller side this afternoon to see if I can get them equal?

Back shot before:

Right side before:

Left side before:

Back shot after:

Right side after:

Left side after:

I'm going to go watch more milking videos now. I pinch off the top of the teat near the udder with my thumb and first finger. Then I use my other fingers without yanking or pulling, to push the milk down the teat. Right? That's what I've been doing... And milk comes out in a nice stream. So what the heck?

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Peppermint Oil will work. Sounds like she may be a little congested.

Yes sounds right. Practice, practice and more practice. You will get the hang of it. It takes a while to understand when the milk is all out. Plus you are perfecting your technique as you practice.

What does her udder look like when she isn't feeding babies? Some girls have a "meaty" udder and they don't totally deflate but there will still be a significant difference with full milk and milked out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts