How much should my doe be giving?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by coltrule, Mar 25, 2011.

1. coltrule

coltrule New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    AR
    Hi, I'm gonna start milking in April and i was wondering how much my nubian sassan doe should give? Last year she gave a gallon a day (milking once a day) is that good?? :whatgoat:

2. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    That's great. Especially for once a day. I would milk a doe twice a day if she were giving that much milk.

3. coltrule

coltrule New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    AR
    Oh okay! You what...i think i'm gonna start doing that milking 2 times a day! Thanks!

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    You didn't mention if she is also nursing kids? I think that if a doe is giving one gallon of milk once a day that she has the capacity to do two a day and that is a lot of milk to carry around. The udder suffers a lot if stress and that much weight can break down her attachments. Also if she is only milked once a day, then the milk that is left in the udder sends a message to the body that it is not being used and to stop producing so much, hence less milk.......

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The more you take the more she'll make, how many kids did she have? I've found that when multiples are born, mama tends to produce more than if she'd had a single kid. If you milk once a day while she feeds her kids, you may not get much but she'll replenish what you do take and if you milk twice a day at 12 hour intervals, you'll see just how much she's capable of producing. If she gave a gallon a day with 1x a day milking, I'm betting that since she has that capacity, she'll produce close to twice that amount when milked 2x a day.

I agree with peggy...carrying that much around does wreak havoc on the attachments...and I'm sure can be uncomfortable for her too.

6. coltrule

coltrule New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    AR
    Last year she had 3 doelings and gave a gallon a day (i milk when the kids are weaned) But this year she only had 2 one boy and one girl :( Do you think she will give the same? The kids will be weaned in April. Also she is 6 years old. Ill try and post pics later. And you are all right im gonna do it twice a day now i kinda feel gulity :(

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Don't feel bad :hug: It's one of those "live and learn" lessons.
    She may decrease her amount or she may not, really depends on her.

If you want milk earlier, you can separate her kids from her at night, mine usually start at 3-4 weeks old, and I put them in a stall where they can see and hear mom, but can't reach her, I then milk in the morning and I don't totally empty the udder, I let kids out and they get breakfast and are with mom throughout the day. You get milk and mom still raises her babies :wink:

8. coltrule

coltrule New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    AR
    Thanks :) Well next friday im gonna be gone for 2-3 days and my dad can not milk so im waiting..but after that its weaning time selling the 2 boys and keeping the 2 does. ill be milking 2 does Fawna (the milk goat) and my boar mix doe (my first goat) she gives a quart a day which is good considering her size hehe :)

9. coltrule

coltrule New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    AR
    Im gonna wean them 1st weak in april so im just gonna wait.