The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home my new saanen doeling. I heard they are a big breed and that her parents were huge....but she is not much bigger than my cross doeling and is 2 months older.She is 5 months old...her belly is slightly bloaty looking...

So...I started her on DiMethox tonight and will continue it for 5 more days. She was wormed by the previous owner with Valbazen on 7/10.

My question is....if she is "behind" because of cocci, can she catch up? Or is she too old for that and already stunted?

Here is the only pic I have but will get more tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
She probably will but time will tell if there is any permanent damage. She could be from slower growing lines too.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know how long it would be before I should notice? It scares me because I had an Alpine doeling that was stunted from cocci because I didn't know what meds to use here....I am afraid of that happening again...I started the 40 % tonight...

How does she look to you?

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
She looks like she could use some groceries. As far as size and everything, it is so hard to tell. You may even want to give her a B Complex shot and even consider giving her a supplement like Replamin Plus.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am going to also give probios in her drinking water along with the b-complex. I will get plenty of groceries in her for sure....

Tomorrow I am going to get my hanging scale set up and weigh her on that. I'll update tomorrow and let you know how big she really is.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, I gave her the second dose of DiMethox....already her belly has lost some of the "bloated" look... :) but it shows how skinny she is.....and she had a lot of food available at her other owners place...I am going to do a 3 day run of Valbazen after the DiMethox 3rd dose.
I gave her some free choice minerals and she ate a lot of it! She is drinking well and eats plenty of hay. I also am slowly starting her on some 18% sweet feed.

She is very loving and sweet...seems calm, I hope it's from personality!

I'll be keeping a close eye on her...here are some pics of her and my Nubians doeling. Madeline is 5 months (born on March 2nd) and the Nubian x doeling ((1/2 Nubian 1/4 Fainter and 1/4 Pygmy)is 2 months younger, born on May 2nd.
Look at the difference in the horns....do Saanen horns grow faster and thicker?
Her parents were really big I was told...but look at the height of the two in front of the same boards....First pic is my nubian x fattie doeling :D (For sale, BTW ;) )

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I don't have any answers to your question, but I have to say your little girl is really pretty! I hope she starts packing on the pounds soon!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
fingers crossed not. i'm sure once she's nice and healthy, she'll start growing and packing on the weight!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I think she's adorable:) I would just try worming her, and putting groceries in her:) if she is stunted she might still catch up... I don't think they are full grown until 3...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we bought some thin goats back in may, you would never know they are the sames does. you will be surprised how fast she will pack n the pounds after the parasites are eliminated.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
It very well could be cocci, and she does look a bit stunted; it could also be that she had tapeworms. (ik!) I think that's why my new ND doelings are so small. This is what convinced me it was tapeworms :http://goat-link.com/content/view/72/#.Ueqgi2SDTL8 the little goat in the picture look just like one of mine.
Very interesting, though for some reason it wouldn't let me look at page 2... :rolleyes: so I guess I'm missing out on some info, but I still think this was the problem, because my girls were not anemic, no diarrhea, along with all the other symptoms listed.

Oh, and I have heard that they can catch up, as long as they get good care, nutrition, feeding, etc., so I wouldn't worry about it. :)
Hope this helps. :)

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
She is really cute, but skinny. I hope she gets fatter soon! Her horns look about the same size as our almost 4 month old Angoras.... they look a little small, but I am not all that credible because the Angoras are our only horned goats.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, update on Madeline....she was treated for cocci, dewormed with Valbazen (only once) and has lost the pot belly look. However, she is still thin! I feed her 24/7 hay (the others are actually getting fat on it) and a half a cup sweet feed a day. i would like to up it, but have to be careful as when i did, she scoured.In a few days I will be giving 3/4 of a cup once a day....

Oh, and she had clear snot since I got her, not copious amounts but enough that her nose was wet all the time...so I gave her 2 shots of biomycin 200 48 hours apart. Clear snot is gone. Do you think she had something wrong and she will start gaining better now? Any advice on feed situation? I have hesitated to give alfalfa pellets because I am afraid she will choke....any advice on that? She was born March 2nd so she is 5 1/2 months old...she weighs roughly 30 lbs.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I dont think she will choke on alfalfa pellets, I've never heard of that happening. She could have been ill and they Biomycin cleared it up.

She could have also scoured because she was sick and stressed. I would definately add some alfalfa pellets, and calf manna to her feed, if it's available.

I think she can still grow, I've seen very stunted, wormy, sick kids turn out to be decent size, not standard size, but close.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts