How much time do you spend with your animals a day?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Nov 17, 2008.

1. 1 hour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2 hours

23.8%
  3. 3 hours

38.1%
  4. 4 hours

33.3%
  5. more

4.8%
  1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Poll!
    :) I after I rode Jinah today, I suddenly realized with shock that I have been spending less than 1 1'2 hours a day with my animals. . .mainly because of housework and school and books. . .and my own laziness. . .I guess. But I am determined to spend at least 3 hours a day with my animals ~new year's revolution, no? ;). But how much time do you spend with your animals a day?

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Some days I hardly get to spend any time with my animals aside from feeding/watering...but when I can I like to spend 2-3 hours playing with and taking care of everybody. This time of year things start to get very busy around here so it's hard to find the time... :sigh:

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    In the summer, when I don't have to worry about school or 3 feet of snow, for example, I like to spend all day outside, but I would say on average atleast 3 hours of that I spend doing things with most of the animals, but some animals, like several cats and the dog are always with me, but since they're not the majority..

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    usually its just about an hour for me.. too much but in that time i can tell alot about whos getting sick and whos ready to breed ext.. on weekends i usually get one day where i go for three hours

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i try my hardest to stay out there and hang out with them, but its just to darn cold! in the summer while schools out, i'm out there from 10am to 3 just spending time with them.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It really depends...some days only around an hour/ an hour and a half....but usually I spend at least 3 hours a day with them.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I spend at least an hour out there just about every day. Since my siblings and I split the care and feeding of them, I don't have to feed both morning and night. When I go to the farm each week, I spend all day with them, rain or shine. But typically about an hour at home. We only have 5 goats to feed here at home, so feeding is a breeze.

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hubby says "too much" :greengrin:

I would guess an average of three hours a day, give or take depending on numerous variables. Today it was a bit longer. Buck kept rubbing his smelly head on me while I was doing some major cleaning and poking around out there. Hubby made me go take a shower afterwards. :roll:

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Well as it gets colder I spend less time out there, but between morning and night feedings and then going out during the day, I would guess about 2 on average. Some days it is just a quick feed and water, but then other days I linger and pet and scratch or have repairs or other chore type things to do. Summer is the best when it is warm and I can just sit out with them or play.

10. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    If you include morning shores, evening shores, and the time I spend with the indoor critters, I'd say at least 2 hours a day.... and it isn't enough! :hair: I would dearly love to spend more time w/my goaties, but with my 1 1/2 hour drive (total to get to and from work) so I can earn a paycheck for 8 hours a day, the basic maintenance shores for the horses, goats, chickens & indoor critters, cooking & cleaning.... it doesn't happen very often.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It all depends on........... if it is trimming time or vaccination/ worming time....
    at trimming time about 4 hours that day...because I do them all in one setting........ depending also on how many goats.... I have at that moment...depends on the time... :)
    At kidding time that to.......... also depends on how long it takes for a doe to kid...ect
    But ........On average......... I'd say at least an hour 2x a day.... :)