South Carolina How much to charge for transport?

Discussion in 'Transport Terminal' started by LibertyHomesteadFarm, Jan 28, 2017.

1. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Quick question, how much should I charge for transporting a flock of sheep?
    I have a partner farm asking if I would be willing to pick up some sheep for them a state away and deliver them for a fee or equivalent in sheep.

I drive a 1999 F250 super duty diesel that gets around 13 mpg; diesel is currently at $2.29 per gallon here. I pull a 2-horse bumper pull trailer (5x6 inside) and have room for 2 large dog crates in bed of truck. Using AWA transport standards, I should have room for 15 sheep max. They're looking at getting 5 or more ewes.

Total miles round trip would be 328 miles; 5.3 hrs drive time not including time spent loading/unloading animals.

Any thoughts?

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Don't know about price, but I would be sure you are both in agreement in case one or more of the sheep dies or becomes injured in transport. There are transport companies out there - maybe you could get a price from them to guide you. Good luck!

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Honestly it depends on you and what your ok with. I know of a guy that will charge $150 a head, doesn't matter where it's from as long as it's along his way. I have paid $100 for a doe coming from Texas to California and they were coming this way anyway. I paid $300 for a doe from Washington to California and I even had a sneaky hag that told me she would deliver a doe I purchased from her, deposited my deposit and then told me it was going to be $175 for a 4 hour trip.

4. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    Gas: 328 miles / 13 mi/gal * $2.29 = $57.78 Pulling a trailer probably means lower gas millage so $60 is probably a reasonable estimate to spend.

Then, there's wear and tear on your vehicle which is probably difficult to calculate.
    I found a site saying tire wear is -8.47x10^-6 inches per mile. If that applies to your tires, that's a total of -.0028 inches of wear on each of your tires. A new tire has approximately 1/3 inch of tread, so you'll be using about .84% of each of your tires. Let's say you have $100 each tires ---> $.84 per tire = $3.36 in tire wear. I'll round that to $4.

Also, there's wear and tear on your trailer. Again, hard to calculate but I'll assume it has two tires which wear the same way as the truck's tires, so that's another $1.68. I'll round to $2.

Then there's your actual time. If you have a federal minimum wage job, you'd need to make $7.25 an hour to make it worth your while, so that's at least another $38.43, which I'd probably round to $40 to account for loading and unloading. If you make more than minimum wage usually, you'd need to charge your actual hourly rate.

That gets me to a minimum $106 shipping fee.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  5. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    For tax purposes and writing off mileage for business use, they give 54 cents per mile. This takes into account gas, wear and tear, maintenence, etc.
    So that's $177. Then you would add your time, because you don't work for free.

6. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Also, make sure there are health certificates and required testing done beforehand.
    I had to jump through hoops to deliver two goats to NC and bring a cow back to SC with me.