How much to feed a dry Lamancha Doe and other ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Gooseberry Creek, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Hi, I just recently bought a 15 mo old Lamancha doe. She was not bred last yr as the owner was moving across the country and was selling off her herd this spring.
    I did the CDT vaccine and have wormed her with Ivomec orally then Safeguard orally.
    I have been giving her free choice bermuda hay with a just a little peanut hay mixed in. Also giving her a cup of purina goat feed and a cup of Alfalfa/Timothy hay Pellets per day? Is this okay/enough?
    I think she is a little thin but have never had Lamanchas before so no clue lol.
    I would like her to be ready to breed this fall. What else should I do?
    Also, our well water has high sulfur in it which is typical for our area. You can smell the sulfur...

I dont know when she last had copper bolus or if she did. I give free choice Manna Pro minerals and baking Soda in seperate dishes.
    Any advice for a newbie? I really hope to be milking next year lol.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't leave baking soda out free choice. It should only be used in bloat situations. Can you post a picture of her?

3. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Here she is. She is a little shy even though she is a sweetheart so kinda hard to get a good pic. I pull out the camera and she runs off lol. Best chance at photos is when she is eating. I ordered a Dairy Goat Weight Tape. I have no clue if those are reliable..it should be here in a few days.

Attached Files:

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Pretty doe. She has a very healthy haircoat and looks to be in overall good condition. A few extra pounds won't hurt her, but you don't want her overweight either prior to breeding. Also her genetics may be more dairy - angular. You can use a regular tape measure. Look up the Fiasco Farm web page they can tell you how to convert.

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Thank you. I will check it out. Should I wait until I see signs of copper deficiency or justgo ahead and give her a bolus dose prior to breeding?

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    She does not look copper deficient - so no bolus needed.

No baking soda!

Switch minerals - Manna Pro will not hold up to well water - try Sweetlix Meat Maker.

She could use a few pounds. How’s her FAMACHA score?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice and suggestions. ;)

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  8. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Hi thanks for your reply. What is the difference between the Sweetlix Minerals and the Manna Pro? Does the Sweetlix have more copper? I am very interested to learn how the minerals interact with our well water etc.
    I did find a feedstore locally that supposedly carries the Sweetlix brand.I will have to call them tomorrow to see if they have the loose minerals.

9. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    I just checked her FAMACHA and it is in the acceptable to opti.al range..hard to tell exactly from monitor photos lol but hers is very pink.

I also got a bottle baby that is her little sister about a yr younger than her (born 04-18-20). Her FAMACHA score also looks great. I have her down to one bottle a day now. I have just about used the last of the frozen goat milk that the breeder very graciously gave me. I am wondering if I can give her whole cow's milk tomorrow mixed with the last cup of goats milk? Then put her on cows milk for a week or so till she's totally weaned?
    I'm currently giving her 16 oz goats milk a day. She is eating the same thing (goat pellets and alfalfa/timothy hay pellets) as the bigger doe, she eats her hay well and drinking water okay. I give her, her bottle in the evening. The bigger doe hogs most of the pellets even though I've been feeding them seperately. The big doe gobbles hers as fast as possible and then comes and pushes the little one out of the way lol. The little one does finish most of her own though.

10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes you can switch to cows milk. Mixing the last of goats milk will help with transition.

11. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Thanks. I gave her half goat milk and half whole cows milk last night.She didnt notice and her poop is normal this morning.So far so good lol.

Does anyone think I could feed them a little black oil sunflower seeds? Would it help put a little weight on the older doe?

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can give a little BOSS. But calf manna and beet pulp are better for putting weight on.

13. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    The yearling looks a little thin IMO. I'd start increasing her to a couple cups of the goat pellets AM & PM. At this age she still has a lot of growing to do, she needs the input to continue developing.
    I prefer to keep my kids on free-choice feed. If the kid is running with the rest of the herd that may be difficult to do, but you might want to consider stalling her overnight so she can eat without being in fear of the yearling/older does.

The weight tapes have been very inaccurate for us. Both with meat goats and dairy goats. Some of our goats have a 30+lb weight difference! Investing in a livestock scale is well worth the money.

14. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Thank you. I would love to stall them seperately to eat but I also have 2 newer doeling that are Nigerian Dwarfs and they are even smaller than the baby Lamancha but are fully weaned because they are a few weeks older. So my extra goat building is being used.
    Plus one arrived from the Transporter with a little dry cough! Arrg! (I am going post for advice on the Health forum) So now I want to make sure that is gone before they get integrated in with the Lamanchas. Maybe we can make some sort of platform for the smaller Lamancha to go under to eat. The older and younger Lamanchas get along great and are very bonded other than food! lol
    I will gradually increase the feed as they tolerate it so they dont bloat.One night my dh fed the larger doe and gave her way too much grain and she bloated got diarrhea but then she was good late the next day. Scared me lol. In retrospect may have also been the new hay as well.

15. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Good to know about the beet pulp.
    This is all so confusing lol. I think Im starting to get it now. Usually when people post about what they are feeding their dairy goats,they are talking about does in milk not dry does so you guys have all been so helpfuland I am grateful!
    I will try to get a scale but I will have to shop around and see. Its kinda low on the priority list right now due to all the ither stuff we are trying to get squared away.
    We have a big metal outbuilding we are building using for a barn and build more stalls and stuff in. The previous owners left all kinds if junk, tires etc in there. Plus we are working on a larger pasture and since we are in North Florida, it seems like every kind of poisonous plant is growing in these acres...so we are having to go through it all and dig up and cut down all kinds of stuff lol. The last owners of this property had horses there about 10 yrs ago but there had been nothing there since then and its all overgrown like a thicket!