how much to feed my new goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ohiogoatgirl, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    how much feed should i put out for my new goats? milky way is a yearling, born january of last year, and moonbeam is about 14 wks. they are both sannen but milky way is slightly caramel colored and moonbeam is all white. how much feed do you recommend? and how much hay? they will be on pature all summer and winter but we get a good amount of snow in winter...
    and how do you recommend to start training them? milky way is very friendly and already follows me but moonbeam is still skittish and mostly just fights the leash.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How were they fed in their previous home? If you can contact the breeder and ask.....if you can't I would suggest a full flake of hay before they are pastured and provide them with hay when it's raining.....as far as grain goes, they are still growing and are going to need the extra nutrients.. start with 1 cup each twice a day and feed separately, also provide them with a good loose mineral.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    If it was me, I would not feed Milky Way any grain...just good alfalfa/grass mix hay or grass hay and pasture. Dry yearlings tend to put on fat if they are fed grain.

Moonbeam should have 2-3 cups of grain a day...especially if you plan on breeding her this fall. You can use the grain feeding as a oppourtunity to bond since you will have to separate her from Milky Way to feed her.

As for training...Just keep working with them...use treats as needed and try not to force them to do things...let it be on their terms and always end training sessions on a positive note. You might want to postpone Moonbeam's leash training until she feels comfortable approaching you and being petting.

5. I agree, it also depends on your feed. With my feed I have mixed a scoop in the AM and a scoop in the PM are all that is needed. However I have a mix that is put tpgether as a complete diet.

6. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    moonbeam seems more comfortable around me now. she stood in the rain yesterday and was soaked when i got home from school. so i went out and dried her off and left the towel setting on her back while i petted milky way. she didnt seem to mind it and i was hoping it would warm her up a bit, after being so wet and all. she will let me pet her back and sides but doesnt like her head or upper neck being pet.
    milky way really likes eating poison ivy. my dad said it wont make goats sick or itchy but i could get itchy if the oils get on me when i pet her. is this true?

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats good they are coming around! And yes, goats just love poison ivy, they won't have the reaction to it that we do and your dad is right, we can get it from the goats.....I used to get it on my forearms during milking after the girls were in a patch of it.

I hope you don't get it too bad, cortisone cream helps but really bad causes need a trip to the Dr. for Prednisone.

8. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    yeah, me and my sisters tend to get it pretty bad. usually by now i have it all up my legs! last spring i had some before all the snow was melted! i will have to watch my skin... ha ha ha! you know what i mean...

9. That is great, and so you know, most goats do not like their necks messed with much and heads NEVER, just about. That is a sign of a challenge to most goats.

10. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    oh, the milkers we had before always liked there cheeks pet and loved a good scratchin' round the ears...

11. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Each of my goats is different. Parsley LOVES to have his neck and head scratched. he will wiggle around to make sure you are scratching under his chin or the front of his neck. Sage will let you scratch her anywhere but if you try her head she ducks away. Rosemary and Thyme like you scratching their shoulders and their back in front of their hips but if you try to scratch their head and neck or their hips/butt they get really annoyed.

12. Yea, this is true all goats are different. But overall that is the case. I do have a few that will let you do what ever too but then again I raised them. LOL

13. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    moonbeam loves to have her butt scratched, right at the base of her tail and spine. she leans into my hand when i pet her there. she looks like a dog when she does it. she looks like if i scratch a little more she will start pumping her leg like a dog... ha ha ha :laugh: