The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a nd wether with what I believe to be a zinc deficiency. Can I just buy Zinc in the health food/drug store for humans? If so, how many mg and how often and how long should I give it to him? TIA

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I advise against using human zinc supplements because I really just don’t have enough research backing it up for dosages. I recommend Zinpro 40, at a dose of 1-2 grams per day. About 1/4-1/2 tsp give or take.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
I advise against using human zinc supplements because I really just don't have enough research backing it up for dosages. I recommend Zinpro 40, at a dose of 1-2 grams per day. About 1/4-1/2 tsp give or take.
I understand your hesitation with this. But. Zinpro is not easily gotten at an affordable rate. Not everyone can drop $90 on somethin that may go bad. Yea you can buy a five pound bag but if you only have a few goats it may be bad before it is gone. So at least the human tabs does supply them with the needed zinc when necessary. People do have good results with the tabs. My only dilema with the tabs is i am not sure mine would actually eat it. To me it is like copper and selenium... get it in them when they need it and pray for the best even if the best you can do is not ideal.

@Big Little Farm some people use this as a top dress.... https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MIuvKr2-2Z5gIVRpyzCh1RCwPdEAkYBCABEgKJmfD_BwE

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I advise against using human zinc supplements because I really just don't have enough research backing it up for dosages. I recommend Zinpro 40, at a dose of 1-2 grams per day. About 1/4-1/2 tsp give or take.
I live in Canada and Zinpro is another one of those wonderful things that is not available for us. I even had the Canadian Zinpro rep on the phone, and no, he couldn't tell me where to get it. (He told me the Trucare would be available in Canada "in the new year sometime").
I am glad to read some people had sucess with human zinc tablets. If I can't find a zinc supplement for goats here, I will give it a try (and try not to overdo it).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts