How often do you clean pens?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JessaLynn, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Once a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Twice a month

55.0%
  3. More then I clean my house

45.0%
  1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I wanted to see if it's just me or do others clean out pens as often as I do.I do once a week sometimes twice in the summer to keep fly population down.We have dirt floors and I put down lime,saw dust,wood shavings and straw.In the winter I may let it go a wee bit longer depending on how deep our snow is. I rather clean my barn then my house :laugh:

2. Once I use pens in my barn I am sure I will want to clean them daily but it will be done at least weekly.
    Currently they are in pastures where the area closest to the house is dirt and the hay racks are. That area gets cleaned kinda as needed. Sometimes every other week sometimes once a month. In the Winter way less often.
    Their shelters are cleaned weekly when they are actually using them.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I tidy up every day (I have a poop bucket that I scoop poop piles into and dispose of) and fluff bedding, do minor cleanout weekly (rake back top dry straw and rake out the underneath wet and poop,then lime wet areas) add some fresh bedding if needed, major cleanout (all bedding) when it starts smelling which depends on weather and how much they are inside......last 2 winters I have done the deep bedding method, but what a pain come spring! This winter I don't think I will let it go as long.

Also, I have dirt floors....in the warm months if the floor gets to wet and stinky, I will clean all bedding out and but fans on it to dry out all day and they rebed at night before bringing the boys in.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    yards get raked weekly in dry weather, barn swept out daily...wet weather, yards get done once a month and barn floors every other day....winter..yards aren't raked and barns done totally every 2-3 weeks.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    My doe pens aren't really cleanable cause they're pretty large and luckily as they poop...the pen is big enough to wear it gets worn down and doesn't become piled or anything. I do clean up my buck and weaning/holding pens about once a week. For my doe pens...they stay pretty clean, but to get rid of most of the poop scattered around every year we just take a rototiller on a tractor and work the ground. Good for the ground too. However, things have to stay neat and tidy or I go nuts. So any fencing issues have to be fixed, baling twine, buckets, etc. has to be cleared and put away. Hoses usually are coiled after use too. I just like everything really tidy. :laugh: You'll very rarely see anything out of place here unless I get swamped with other things.

Shelters are cleared and refilled with fresh straw every couple weeks...usually every week in the winter months.

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Kylee I'm the same way..things have to be in place or it drives me nuts.I like things nice and tidy and if 5 kids and homeschooling didn't consume most of my day I would be out there with a pooper scooper and holding it underneath them to catch berries :laugh:

7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  8. Breezy-Trail

Breezy-Trail Senior Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Sprakers, New York
    I clean them daily and weekly. Maybe more often than I clean my room (I do make my bed daily lol).

Every morning from April to November I sweep it out and shovel it into a pit that is 1ftX4ft and 1ft deep (old cow barn features). Once this pit gets filled I take it out. Which usually is once a week, but I still take it out every Saturday anyway. As long as there isn't puddles of urine when it gets colder (like now) I let them waste hay and all the stalky stuff they don't like makes a dry bed. I use saw dust (from table saw)to take care of the puddles when there are any and then scoop it out. I have cement floors so it can puddle at times...I also have wooden sleeping platforms to ensure that they have a dry space.

9. Jessaba

Jessaba Senior Member

May 13, 2010
    Georgia
    I clean them out totally weekly but do maintenance cleaning daily..scooping most of the berries up while I'm out scooping dog poo. During the winter I clean less often

10. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Sometimes I do that! I would take a dust pan and follow them around catching the never ending goat berries! :p I clean ours once a week but when I feel like it I will work for hours and get the pen totally clean meaning not one goat pebble in sight. :laugh: A lot of times after I have worked so long and hard they will walk their berries all over the pebble free pen rather than staying there and keeping them in a pile!!!!! :doh: So rude! :laugh:

11. jaycee

jaycee Senior Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Alton, IL
    My experience is more like that of Kylee. Perhaps its because the pens are good sized for a relatively few amount of goats... almost 50 square feet per goat... but I rarely have anything to clean up. My four does have a pen 12 x 16 that they eat and sleep in and the manure never collects... not sure where it goes, and the dirt floor is never wet or messy other than with wasted hay that I just let them use for bedding.

Sometimes I find it a little amazing considering I have another stall the exact same size with just one cow and I shovel 4 or 5 pitchforks of manure out each day and have to spread fresh bedding to soak up the urine that puddles up. Goats are SOO much cleaner than cows...

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I forgot...I also did something a little different this year in one of my doe pens (the dry lot). I took a bucket tractor and scraped about an inch off the top of most of the pen and made a big mountain of dirt and a little poop and turned it into a little goat mountain. :laugh: Scraping the excess manure up and piling it helps prevent internal parasites too. :thumb:

13. I clean deep once a week. Meaning down to the dirt. After it is clean, then I put a dusting of lime down, and on top of that goes a dusting of DE. then the hay they waste goes for bedding. I also rake once in between cleanings.
    In the winter it's the same as above, except I put down absorbant pellets, and straw for warmth. :) the absorbant pellets help ALOT with the urine smell, and shovels out very easily. :thumb:

14. Kylee, we have a poop pile/goat mountain too and the goats love it! There is even weeds and grass growing on it now so its even better.

15. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    My run in shed which is where the does sleep, in general, usually is cleaned once a month or so, but lately, my two llamas have decided that is a good place to poop and it has to be done more often. Anyone have ideas on how to relocate llama's pooping spots??? You know, they poop in one spot! ARRRGGGHHH....

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I scrape the floors in the barn every other week, they turn the shavings and straw to dust. so I just use a square tipped shovel to clean

17. simplynewt

simplynewt New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Alabama
    I have 3 girls and they go to a house I have built them inside their pen. I use wheat straw inside the house for bedding. I am finding that if I do not change this bedding every other day, it starts to smell. I could probably add DE to this to cut back on odor but havent gotten any yet.

Im just starting out in the goat raising so I may need to try something different if the mojority here is only cleaning at most once a week.

18. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    I rake the doe cave daily and put down Stall Dry and Wood Chips. I don't clean the goat and chicken paddocks unless the horses are in there. I clean the house occasionally too. :laugh:

19. ettasmama

ettasmama New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nebraska
    Wow I am really suprised at some of this. I have 2 goats in 1/2 of a 1 1/2 car garage plus a similar amount of outdoor area that they have access too all the time and then I let them out to exercise in the yard most days for a few hours if I am home. I cleaned out our pen 2-3x this summer but have just been letting bedding build for a few monthes now. It doesn't smell and our fly issue is from our chickens and dog not our goats. The chickens get let into the goat pen area every few days and seem to turn it all over pretty well. We lime and then lay down straw and it has just been super easy. Also easy on the pocketbook thankfully.

20. Ducklady

Ducklady New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I only have 2 goats and I do a quick clean 2x a day. After I feed them I rake their pen then scoop it up in a rolling bucket. It gives me time to check on them, and when they're busy eating they don't feel the need to help (by that I mean eating the rake, knocking over the bucket, standing in front of me supervising...).