The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feed hay and little grain twice a day. Thinking of having another baby myself so I wont have as much time for the goats. Wondering if they'll be fine w once a day. Also interested in minimizing wasted hay. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I give my goats free choice hay, replace every evening.. I grain once a day, it's all I have time for frankly. :lol:

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
Why wouldn't you be able to feed? Really, I don't understand this kind of thinking. I raised 4 kids while I was farming and never had to do more than put a playpen in the barn and teach them not to eat dirt. Why is it different now?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
when I was pregnant with my 2nd child I thought I wouldn't be able to do XYZ that all the things I could do now with 1 kid would make my hands tied if I had 2. Turns out nothing changed and I was able to still do it all. Like Goathiker said, well placed play pens were all I needed. And a good monitor for naptimes if I didn't want to bring them out to the garden and monitor dirt intake

But you can easily do free choice hay and grain once a day.
Babies love goats....Some goats love babies.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why wouldn't you be able to feed? Really, I don't understand this kind of thinking. I raised 4 kids while I was farming and never had to do more than put a playpen in the barn and teach them not to eat dirt. Why is it different now?
Well...Having a baby might not change everything, but being pregnant can change a lot of things for a lot of people. I was so sick for 6 months during my first pregnancy that I lost 19 lbs. during that time. I was a walking twig with a bump. Even sounds made me sick.
I also have a friend who had to take on the full time care of her newborn grandson, and she had 45 goats to care for at that time. It was very hard for her, and she was often stressed. Living in northern MN means long winters with lots of snow and severe cold. Play pens are not an option in weather like that.
So, it would be safer not to jump to conclusions about what another person's life is like.

But, if your pregnancy and your life are fairly normal, and you have good support, caring for your animals and your baby should all work out fine. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I feed hay and little grain twice a day. Thinking of having another baby myself so I wont have as much time for the goats. Wondering if they'll be fine w once a day. Also interested in minimizing wasted hay. Thoughts?
Maybe buying a good hay rack - the kind with the trough along the bottom, it catches hay and you can pour feed into it, they arent cheap though...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
My friend feeds every other day. She has feed lot feeds and just fills them up. I like to make sure they get something at least once a day. I like to go threw and make sure nothing is off about them.
Ohhh boy do I know about being sick that was me with #2 and the pills make you just want to sleep. just make sure things are set up so things will be easy on you later. Have the hay bales close to feeders. Even sleeping and throwing up most of my days all my critters got fed. We are women we are smart and strong and even if it takes all day we get what needs to be done :)
I also had 3 play pens placed all over....I think my kids spent more time in them then their own bed......and they ate tons of dirt and still going strong lol

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I feed hay twice a day, and I give them a lot so they have it 24/7. Give grain once or sometimes twice a day when I'm feeling particularly nice :)

As for catching the hay, I also have this problem. Going through tons if hay every day... I'm making just a "tray" to go underneath the feeder with a six inch lip or so.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm raising four ND doelings. Seven months down to three months. Right now they are on Noble Goat grower free choice but I usually add raisins at bedtime to make it more pleasant. They have two hay feeders we made with the garden type wire and I keep them both full of alfalfa. Usually add some am and pm. Goathiker ,I also raised my kids in the barn and didn't really have any disruption in my routine. Thank God for backpacks and play pens.

·
1,524 Posts
I do complete rounds of feeding/watering chores for the horses and goats 3 times a day; milking, dog feeding and kennel cleaning twice a day, horse stall cleaning and chicken chores once a day. In the winter months the goats and horses get fed and watered 4 times a day, the dogs 3 times, the chickens twice. I don't have a way of free choice feeding the hay, so 3 or 4 times a day I unroll the big round bale and wheel it to the horse stalls or the goat feeders. They get grain at milking time. The bottle kids get bottle fed 4 times a day with hay and grain available 24/7.

I ran an entire 65 dairy cow milking farm with an added 65 dairy goats milking, with young stock, dry stock and bucks plus I had ducks, chickens, rabbits and 12 horses when I was pregnant with my 3rd and 4th sons. I did all the barn chores, all the goat chores, all the house work, barn work, child care, bred outside mares to my stallion, showed the foals in the furturities, did the training etc. The only thing my now ex did was field work. I worked right up until i went to the hospital in labor and went right back at it the day I came home from the hospital. I had a playpen and crib in the milkroom. They were on wheels so i could roll them into the midway of the barn during milking and feeding time. My ex was a lazy slug who would hide in the bathroom at chore time. I had to do it all. Because of it, labor and delivery was easy because I was in really good shape. My doctor was fine with it, just gave me 2 things I was not allowed to do-skydiving or underwater diving.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Well...Having a baby might not change everything, but being pregnant can change a lot of things for a lot of people. I was so sick for 6 months during my first pregnancy that I lost 19 lbs. during that time. I was a walking twig with a bump. Even sounds made me sick.
Why on earth did you get pregnant again? That would of been more then enough a reason for me :) hehe

Here is what I have learned under my farming situation. Feeding once a day leaves the animals very hungry by the next feeding to the point of them fighting for the first flakes of hay dropped into feeders. They also tend to pull more hay outta the feeders and drop it on the ground at first. They do end up picking the scraps off the ground, which isnt a good thing as feeding on the ground is the main way worms are transmitted.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the responses. My last pregnancy was very difficult and working 10 hr days while keeping up w the chickens, goats, outside avairies, greenhouse in winter and garden in summer, made it even harder. Hopefully this one will be easier. Definitely some impressive goat keepers here. Glad to hear im not the only one here crazy enough to take on goats on top of everything else. All for the love of goats
:p

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why on earth did you get pregnant again? That would of been more then enough a reason for me :) hehe

LOL! Yeah, call me crazy! I actually got pregnant three more times. :) Middle two not bad. Fourth, bad again but not quite as bad, thank God bc at that time I had a 6, 4 and 1 year old. Crazy times! :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I feed once a day in the afternoon/evening. My girls do not get grain - only hay. I didn't plan on feeding that way - it was just the only way I could ensure they got fed what they needed to be fed during the summer months. I kept a close eye on them and I noticed that they did not lose condition as a result of only being fed only a day, and they did not swarm me like they were overly hungry because of being fed only once a day. If you decide to feed once a day you will need to keep a pretty close eye on them for the first few weeks and adjust the amount of feed you're giving if needed. I would also suggest you feed at night so they are going into the coldest part of the day with a full tummy.

As for the wasted hay, what are you feeding? Is it stemmy, overly coarse, or rank? If grass, how many seed heads are in it? If alfalfa, are the flakes purple when you pull them apart? Are the seed heads closed or open? Are you feeding free choice?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
My goats have hay at all times. I can feed a bale and it might last for days even a week because they are out eating in the pastures still. I feed grain in the winter only and once a day.

·
14,760 Posts
We don't have a lot of land, just a couple of acres.
Through the summer, does who are not being shown/not nursing are on browse, free choice minerals <everyone gets minerals>, and hay on rainy days. Goats that my kids show get fed 2x a day and have hay off/on through the day.

Once the kids are done showing we wean them down to 1x a day feeding depending on the goat, but still get their hay. Usually we start putting hay out 2x a day for everyone at that point.

It's getting into the cold season now, and we try to keep hay available as much as possible.
We have so much going on, that I can't get more hay feeders built. I'd like to build an outside covered area and put a roll bale of hay under it with something protect it so there isn't too much waste on the ground. That away they can have hay 24/7 vs. me having to refill hay feeders several times a day.

All the does are now getting grain in the evenings, and once it gets really cold we'll offer 2x a day, plus add in alfalfa pellets since we are feeding grass hay.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts