How often is it safe to bolus?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by pennylullabelle, Jan 28, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

My buck was kept as a pet before I got him and wasn't given any copper or minerals. He stands on really good feet and legs, but his coat especially his tail show signs of copper deficiency. I could basically bolus him every day since he will take it right from me...Obviously that's not what I am doing! :roll:

Anyways, at what frequency is copasure (3g for my 65 lb boy) safe? I know some breeders locally who do it monthly, but I just am not sure. I want to get him caught up and looking/feeling the results of the copper but don't want to poison him. From the research I've read the rods become embedded in the stomach lining and are absorbed over a month...so does that mean monthly is safe?

Thanks for any help!

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I bolus every 6 months and supply my goats with free choice Sweetlix Meat Maker loose minerals. Since I started bolusing every 6 months my goats haven't shown any more signs of being deficient.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I bolus every 3 months, give or take depending on how the goat is looking. I don't go by grams, I just go by cc's. About 1cc every 50-60 lbs.

4. pennylullabelle

1cc is 3.1g. So, I go shy of 1cc for a round 3g - estimated.

I planned on doing 3x a year or as needed. But I am also feeding a grain mixture that is high in copper. As well as Sweetlix...so, for herd management it's a different schedule then getting my big guy on track. Thanks for the help so far!

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    what is the copper content in your feed? Mine is 40-45ppm

6. pennylullabelle

The mare and foal is no less then 60 ppm, then the calf manna has 15 to 35, and the BOSS I buy isn't labeled with copper content in ppms.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt give it once a month -- thats overkill.

8. pennylullabelle

One goat knowledgeable vet friend of mine says if a goat is really showing signs of deficiency then once per 4-6 weeks 2-3 times would be okay. Anyone agree/disagree?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I disagree but I have nothing to back it up except that Copper given to often will create toxidity and that will kill them because you cant reverse the effects.

I believe that once you get their copper levels up they should be able to be maintained mostly by their feed and minerals. Some goats need a little more copper through the year but I dont think it should be given as often as like you feed.

10. pennylullabelle

I haven't personally bolused once a month, so I don't personally know the effects. The buck has been done twice since I got him a few months ago. Once when he got here, and once a few days ago. But the whole process sure brought some questions to mind...

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I wouldn't do more than once every 3 months. Better to be safe than sorry.