The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We copper bolused our three adult goats a few months ago, and they are due again in late August. That would be 6 months from the 1st bolus. However, I noticed that Rachel, our mostly black goat, is turning more reddish again and is starting to develope a fish tail. Our wether's hairs are also starting to curl a little. Is it safe to copper bolus them more often than every 6 months, or should I just wait? They also have out free-choice Manna Pro goat minerals.

Also, Rachel kidded late March and was bolused for the first time while she was pregnant. One kid out of the set of triplets is completely black with a white patch on her leg and belly. However, once she turned 2 weeks I started noticing copper rings around her eyes and a reddish tinge to her fur when she is in the sun. She is now 13 weeks old, and seems to have improved a little since we started offering the kids their minerals free choice. However, since we are keeping her, I was wondering what is a safe age for their fist bolus. Thanks everyyone! :)

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
You really can't give a set timeframe on copper bolusing. There are many dependencies. You have to find what works for your farm. The baby could have been sunbleached too. Do you have high iron in your water? Iron binds copper so they would need copper bolus more frequently. You may find that you have to copper bolus 3-4 times per year. But you will have to figure that out.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
^^^100% agree, Mine get done roughly every 3 months, and even then I think most need more then that. This year I did things kinda different and works for me, I gave them their first bolus at around 5-6 weeks old. Im sure not everyone agrees with me on this but again works for me, let me tell you those kids look awsome at weaning time, The girsl that I plan to keep get another one at 3 months old, when they go in the weaning pen, the others go to the sale, and I had the most shiny kids there :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts