How often to milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by milkmaid, Sep 29, 2010.

1. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I was milking Helen twice a day. When her production went down to less than half, I started milking once a day. Will this make her produce less overall? She never gets full anymore, so I wouldn't think so, but...?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes it can reduce her amount but not usually by much

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Twice a day is best...from what i've heard. I don't do much milking right now since i'm so busy. There might be a reason her production is down too. Has it been extra hot lately or change in feed, etc.???

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its teh time of year -- goats drop in production naturally.

5. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Really? Is it b/c of the shorter days? (like chickens)

I noticed (since i started milking my two does with babies) that Bailey's udder NEVER fills up like theirs. She is giving me 1.5 cups twice a day, so her production hasn't dropped, but they are definitely fuller. I thought maybe it was b/c the babies are nursing on the other two way more than I am milking Bailey.

I don't mind milking twice a day - Bailey only takes about 10 minutes tops. (we won't talk about the other two)

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How long has Helen been in milk and is this her FF?

Since most goats will drop production a bit once breeding time comes around and the days get shorter, I will dry off my girls the month they are bred...personal preference, with them being "trained" to be in milk for 6-7 months as opposed to going the 10-11 months a dairy goat should, I can't expect them to pick up production after 7 months...they've been trained to dry off.
    If Helen is a FF...Keep milking her 2 x daily, up the amount of feed she gets by a small amount if you want to milk her through to the month before she kids again, if you want to try to increase her yield even more milk her 3-4 times a day.

In the wild...goats nurse kids for 6 months or less, once those kids are of breeding age...born in Spring, breed in Fall...the does will wean them to prepare for a winter pregnancy and Spring birth, I do think that even though we have had domesticated goats for a very long time , some of the natural instincts they have are still there and cannot be "bred out".

7. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Thanks for all the replies!