The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a large buckling just turning 3 months old next week. Am wondering if it is OK to inject Ivomec Plus sq at this age? Dealing with a probable mite issue, also some soft dog-like poop (have given Toltrazuril 3 weeks ago) so I thought this would cover all the bases i.e. mites and worms. It's what I have on hand.

Thanks for any opinions, have done 2 fecals on this little guy already but don't want to hold off treatment while waiting for a third after the memorial day weekend...

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
What do his eyelids look like, and what did his previous fecals show?

Did the toltrazuril work on the scours before?

Have you tried scour-halt or scour-chek for him?

How certain are you of the possible mite issue?

What is his temp?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eyelids tonight are pink so perhaps worms are not a concern.

The Toltrazuril seemed to keep things in check until prob 2 days ago when I started seeing large clumps of balls, which have degenerated into the soft dog-poo.

No, have not tried scour-halt I do have Albon.

Mites - am not totally certain. He's been scratching and biting, I cannot for the life of me see anything moving on him and I looked without my glasses on for about 20 minutes (I'm horribly near sighted so just about as good as a magnifying glass lol.) I did dust with Python yesterday morning, last night thought it didn't do any good but I have to admit today he seems a lot better. I might be over-reacting on the mite thing, but my 2 adult wethers started to scratch too so I did all 3 of them with the Python dust. Just noticed tonight one of my wethers seems to be losing hair on his ears, I treated those with Nu-Stock.

Too many problems... getting a bit overwhelming...

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I think you are right on the mites, and so I think he is old enough for the SQ shot for the mite issue. If that does not clear up the scours, we can go from there.

But Yes on the mites.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I think the dosage on SQ is 1 cc per 40 lbs.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
There's a meat withdrawal time, but I don't know what it is, so if he's going to be butchered soon, don't do this.

I just now thought of it, or I would have said earlier.

·
Registered
585 Posts
There's a meat withdrawal time, but I don't know what it is, so if he's going to be butchered soon, don't do this.

I just now thought of it, or I would have said earlier.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I am also dealing with a similar issue so i feel your pain @kathyc . How long do you withhold milk for when using ivermectin injectable for your does in milk Mariarose?

Also, is the doseage supposed to be repeated X3 weeks in a row, I've been reading up on it and am making sure I've got all my ducks in a row before implementing my plan of attack.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I use pour on. I've never used SQ. So sorry. I know I'm giving incomplete info, but it is just stuff I've read here at TGS.

I prefer Pour Ons for surface issues and oral methods for inside issues.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I use pour on. I've never used SQ. So sorry. I know I'm giving incomplete info, but it is just stuff I've read here at TGS.

I prefer Pour Ons for surface issues and oral methods for inside issues.
Thank you! Did you ever have an issue with pour ons causing the goat to lose hair or burn their skin?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I use ivermectin Pour On for cattle.

There are fly repellents that are concentrates that must be diluted r it would cause burning.

Fly repellents won't work on mites, and all concentrates must be diluted. So read labels carefully.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have some Durvet Ivermectin Pour-on on hand as well. I used it last spring on the two older wethers, applied along the topline seemed to do the job altho they both developed a major case of dandruff afterwards - don't know if it was related. Shampooed them with head & shoulders and shaved the thicker-coated one also - dandruff finally went away. No lost hair or burned skin. The dosage I used was 1cc/22 lbs - 3 times, 10 days apart.

However, when I had a vet out last summer he noticed the pour-on bottle and said something a little negative about it and goats, of course I can't recall exactly what he said now but I got the impression maybe I shouldn't be using it. Plenty of people do tho.

No worries on withdrawal time here, these boys are pets/pack goats.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found why I was worried about doing Ivermectin, this post last month on this forum "I don't recommend ivomec in kids under 6 months old due to research showing it can cause brain damage in some kids."

Maybe there is something safer for kids, for mites? aargh.... And of course, to complicate matters like total idiots we panicked and jumped the gun last night and started Albon for the loose stool - not even sure if I should mix anything else in until that 5 day course is done. Maybe just a topical insecticide...

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
If you quote something, it really is best to give the source so others can evaluate the context.

Since you panicked and started Albon, don't do anything now until the Albon course has finished. Topical insecticides are still -cides. They aren't more safe simply because they are on the largest organ of the body...

Wait, and finish the course of Albon.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
It'll be OK. Nothing you've described is life and death emergency. Just finish what you've started and we'll go from there. OK?

Thanks for the link. We can all get on the same page now that you've posted that.

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
If you quote something, it really is best to give the source so others can evaluate the context.

Since you panicked and started Albon, don't do anything now until the Albon course has finished. Topical insecticides are still -cides. They aren't more safe simply because they are on the largest organ of the body...

Wait, and finish the course of Albon.
I agree. It is almost important to give sources.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts