How old for moxidectin?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Goober, May 17, 2010.

1. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    How old do goat kids need to be prior to giving moxidectin? Asking, because in horses you are supposed to wait until 4 months, but have been unable to come across an age for goats.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am not familiar with the name -- is this the active ingredient or the name of the wormer?

3. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Cydectin is the brand name, moxidectin the chemical name.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ah yes Cydectin is used in goats but I have never personally used it (havent had the need yet).

Hopefully someone who has used it can give you a good idea of when its safe to use. I want to say its safe for 2 month olds and up but I dont want to steer you wrong

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know, I have used it on my goats but all older like two years. I have never needed it but one time.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I used it on my 1yr olds last summer.....I used the pour on, but orally....1ml per 22lbs.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Please check the concentration. And if it is pour on. I have used the quest Plus (for horses) on a 6 month old goat. The dosage I used was 0.1cc per 10lbs.

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yes, as Ashley stated please check and make sure what you have and the concentrate......the Horse Quest Gel is given at much less dosage, it has a higher concentrate....Also, I only use Cydectin during summer months when the barber poles are at high numbers.....I only use it when I just have to.

9. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    What wormer do you use Stacey? and Denise and Runaround?
    I'm curious because I've read it recommended to give cydectin to a new momma regardless. Why do you use/do? Thanks.

10. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I give it by injection, and yes, I know to check the concentration - I give it at 0.5 mg/kg. Basically trying to find out if I can give it to the 8 and 11 week old kids (boer X).

11. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I didn't realize it came injectable. I have only seen the pour on and oral Quest.
    I guess I should have looked a little harder it was right there!

12. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I am still going to try to find out an age for moxidectin, but I went ahead and just gave them oral Ivermectin. I'll let you all know if I find out.

13. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Thanks Goober.
    I was trying to figure out the dose for Quest the other day then I got on something else...