The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello yall i raise nigerian dearf goats but i recently bought a ramn lamb for the freezer.. i just have no idea how old he is.. weaning age i know his nuts have dropped. Any guesses. Also breed? I guessed painted desert but now its lookin like hes polled? Not sure lol. If it helpa in the pic hes standing with my ND bucks.
Goat Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal Sheep Grass
OP

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can try n get closer hes pretty skiddish. I did notice the other sheep in his lot had similar color markings but the other ramb had horns 2 inches long already.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also is karoo a cross of certain breeds or something in trying to look them up and im getting weird results lol. I know lots about goat breeds.. nothing about sheep breeds.. lol

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
Looks like possibly a dorper cross. We raised Dorpers and Barbado and lambs looked alot likeness guy. Which means he is a hair sheep if so ;).
The meat taste better if you band him before he matures. I agree with age estimate

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some closer pics. I plan on getting a band on him in the next day or so was giving him a day or so to settle in he was pretty frightened coming home. Dorper cross would make more sense for my area i see alot of folks here with the. Black bellys and the dorpers thanks guys! Are dorpers a polled breed btw? I honestly cant find any trace of horns on him but i cant touch him yet.
IPO

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool thanks yall. Was just curious really hes a pretty little boy i gotta not let myself get attached lol. Those chops will be worth it 🍖
So if im hearing right is butcher age usually best around 8 to 10 months?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts