How old is old for pelleted feed?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Feira426, Dec 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    I'm getting some bad-tasting milk right now and trying to figure out and eliminate the cause. My current biggest suspicion is the pelleted MFM lactating goat feed I give my two milkers. One of them has been refusing to eat it lately, and her milk is good. The other eats it, but seems to favor everything else and saves it for last, and the last couple of days she's not been finishing it, which is really weird. Oh, and her milk is horrible.

The milk got bad very suddenly and I can't remember when I bought this last bag of feed, so I'm not sure if it coordinates or not... but I found a date on the bag and it says it's from April of 2018. That's well over a year old. What is the shelf life of a bag of feed? I don't think the bag had any rips or anything. But is that a little old? I don't see an expiration date on the bag.

2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Our local milk said pelleted feed is good for only about 6 months. I would say that could be a huge culprit.

Sfgwife, Feira426 and GoofyGoat like this.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I won't use feed with a date more than 2-3 months old.

Sfgwife and Feira426 like this.
  4. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks, guys! Cutting that out to see if the milk taste improves. Gonna see if the store will refund me too.

How long do you think it will take to know if this feed was the problem? How long does a meal affect the milk, I guess is what I’m asking.

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'd give it a few days.

toth boer goats and Sfgwife like this.
  6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

If my does do not want the grain at milkin time i always go to the feed first thing. They snarf while on the stand and if somethin is wrong with it they just pick. :).

My doe in milk right now is a bit more difficult in that one though.... she gets alfalfa pellet in one side and grain in the other. Some days she wants alfalfa others grain. The goober. But whichever one is the pick for that day i always end up addin more before i sit down to milk her. I let her out while i am feedin everyone else and she goes right to the room and starts munchin while she waits. So i can always tell what day it will be for her food. She also refuses to eat if there is too much dust in either side. So i make sure that before i put her ration in that i dump any leftover into the community feed bucket. No one else has this problem. But i love my crickie so i do the little things for the diva lol!

I am pretty sure this is not the immediate problem with that feed bag date. But. Mineral deficiency is said to make milk taste off too. So make sure you keep all that good stuff out and in them.... loose mineral, selenium/vit e and copper, a salt block and some have a cobalt block out as well.