The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age do you recommend retiring your does?

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
About 10 years old. It depends on how the doe is doing...a really strong doe might be able to go past that, and a doe in bad shape should be retired sooner.

·
Super Moderator
58,392 Posts
It really depends on their condition, how often they were bred, etc. Some are done around 8 and others go into their teens.

·
Registered
30,113 Posts
I agree with whats been said..depends on condition and age...I retired my Saanen at 10...her last kidding almost took her and her doe..I will retire one sooner if I have too many kidding complications..but 10 is my magic number even if all goes well..

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have two sisters that are 10 this spring. One just tripled easily like she always does, the other is so rickety and unsteady that I wouldn't subject her to pregnancy. She retired two years ago. So it's very much an individual decision. Some won't keep a retired doe and breed until it kills them. Not me.

·
1,384 Posts
I sold 3 of my 4 oldest does this past year at the age of 9 and still have one of them and plan on breeding her again this next season and she will be turning 11.
8 to 10 years is pretty normal for retirement.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't go by age. Mine are retired when they can no longer maintain proper condition.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I don't go by age. Mine are retired when they can no longer maintain proper condition.
I agree. I have a doe who is almost 14 and still popping out babies like a pro.
I retire mine when they are having too much kidding dificulties annually, can't milk enough, won't keep on condition, or just over all isn't suitable for kidding anymore.
OR when they dont care for their kids.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts