The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a buckling born on Thanksgiving Day. I have to go out of town the second week of January and don't have anyone who can bottle feed him. The breeder says at 6 weeks, he will only be taking one bottle a day. Can I wean him at 6 weeks when I go out of town? I have someone who will watch and feed the goats but they won't bottle feed the boy. If I can't wean him before I go then I don't think I can buy him.

· Super Moderator
36,709 Posts
I dont recommend weening that early...! 12 weeks is ideal..even longer...he really needs the milk...IMO, he should be on 3-4 bottles daily right now and then 2-3 by 2 months then 1 by three months...maybe you can find someone to take him for you or leave him with the breeder until you get back...

· Registered
17,201 Posts
I wean at 12 weeks old, they are on four bottles a day until around 8-9 weeks old, depending on the kid, then I drop a bottle per week, and wean them. They are eating hay and 2lbs of grain a day when I wean them.

· Registered
8,603 Posts
I agree, the earliest I would wean is 8 weeks. 12 weeks and longer is much better!

· Registered
228 Posts
I also think that if it all possible a goat that young should not be weaned.
I bottle fed my one buck until he was around 4 months and bottle fed my other buck until he was 5-6 months (I can't remember exactly how long). They were only on 1-2 bottles a day for the last leg before weaning tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.