How old?

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by goatnutty, Jan 27, 2009.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    This is the first buck I ever bought and I am wondering how old he is. I don't use him much on my does because we don't know much about him. SO I was wondering how old do you think he is???? He is really sweet but I don't know what to do with him. He came here with some major hoof rot going on '(still treating that) they had never even been trimmed! He ran free with 30 does and bred when/where he wanted to and even got one of his daughters, and so on...I had to get him because I felt bad for the animals and he waws only $100. He is BILLY http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=11874280 Hope that works. If not let me know!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Anyone? I was sooo close to selling him the other day and they said he lookd to old annd that they didn't want to have to bury him in 8 months.

3. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Did you check his teeth? Thats the best way to tell the age of a goat. Us looking at him won't give you much information.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    He still has all of his teeth but they are all adult teeth if you know what I mean. I was told they thought he was 4 or 5. The previous buyers thought he was to old for that and vacked out though.

5. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    If all his incisors are permanent teeth than he would be at least 4 or 5. Judgeing age isn't too easy after all the teeth are in. You can sort of guestimate based on the wear.

Just looking at the picture I can't really tell you anything. :shrug: He's a mature buck.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    If he has all of his permanent incisors, and they havent begun to wear, I would put him at 4, maaaaybe 5. He does look youthfull in both the horn set and the face. Yes, thats right I said face. He's certainly not an old buck looking at that face. Goats are pretty good at getting what I call 'old cow face'.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, he may be 4 or 5
    Did you check to see if his ears were tattooed at all...some people have a buck registered, then if they want to sell him quicker may sell them unregistered...... :shrug:
    If you find the tattoo look for the year born letter..... :greengrin:

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    No tatoos, tags anything. The lady knew nothing just that he did "his job" and was given to her.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    does the lady have the contact info of the person that she got him from? .... so you can try to ask them... if they know anything?

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    She said she doesn't have any info about that either. I have another prospective buyer though so we will see.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that's to bad, but if you have a buyer.....that is a good thing.... :greengrin: :thumbup:

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yeah, now the problem is getting my dad ok w/ selling him. He says they have "bonded" and he has a job to do in the spring.LOL!

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your dad and him have already bonded... and he already has a work date setup for him........
    doesn't sound like dad is going to let him go to soon ....... :shades:

14. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Well, technically it is up to ME....but he is one of the few he likes...and if his kids are nice I could always use them for meat weathers and such...so IDK..

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That sounds good......he may surprise you and give you decent kids.... :wink:

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yeah..I saw some of his kids and they looked nice.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is cool ......you seen his kids......maybe give him a go ....... :wink:

18. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yeah...I just can't register the kids then...

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    D a r n....... :sigh: ..... I forgot he wasn't registered.....How do you feel about him.....do you want to sell him ..? Or give him a try anyway....?

20. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    IDK....and I really emotional right now because I have to sell my first goat ever...and it's a "special" bond...if you know what I mean.