How old...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Jul 23, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Are the kids when you start offering them grain? I am in the process of trying to make temporary shelters, and thinking about planning for the winter months.... And it got me thinking about this since I need to make a place where I can keep food for the kids.
    Our kids are 2 weeks and almost 3 weeks old, they are nibbling at hay and grass, mineral, drinking water, etc. so I was guessing I should start working on a 'kid zone.'

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My babies are with their moms when the moms get fed, I notice that it's right around the 1 1/2 to 2 week mark that they start to try it, once they are really into it I start feeding the babies their own at around 3 weeks.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I start offering it at 2-3 weeks but they usually don't get too serious about eating it until they are 6-8 weeks...at least that's how mine usually are :)

4. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    My kids are offered grain along with their mother, as well, and I start giving them their own around 2 weeks. My girls didn't really start being interested until 6 weeks old.

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! I will try to fix a little something up for them that the other goats can't get in, so I can leave them out a handful of grain, and water since they are drinking and have trouble reaching even the smallest bucket that I have <I have lots of gallon ice cream buckets I've been saving>.
    The mamas eat their grain up so fast, the kids would never get a chance to try it. Not kidding LOL

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I also start them at 2 weeks old.....some will nibble at it ...while others really start getting into it.... :wink: :thumb:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    2-3 weeks, they start to dig in!!

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I had this bright idea to make one of my temporary shelters a place for babies only during the day w/food and water. The others were hovering around like sharks LOL Then my buckling, Boe figured out he can climb through the wall on the backside which the opening is just big enough for his head, so naturally the body follows LOL
    I had to oust that idea and take the grain out. I will come up with something else this evening. I have a couple more ideas I can try with the things I have laying around here that I can use.

9. carmen escamilla

carmen escamilla New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    i have 2 baby boys that 6 weeks old and i just started them on grain they seem to be doing good on that i let them feed off mom in the am and then i let their moms out to grace and let them to eat of grain now while moms r out gracie so they can get use to eating with out their moms r not around its working for them maybe this will help..